if i keep my computer running how long should my battery last before needing a recharge?

JWR
JWR Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited June 18 in Aspire Laptops

Curious; if i keep my computer running how long should my battery last before needing a recharge? (it is three years old). Goes about three hours now, thinking of replacing battery

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,991 Trailblazer

You should keep the power adapter plugged in 24/7 and the battery always fully charged. Battery wear depends on battery quality and manufacturer date, a cheap Chinese refurbished one may last 1-2 years a high-quality Acer endorsed OEM battery can last 4-6 years. I recommend not to wait to replace a battery till it dies but do it when the last fully charged load capacity gets below 50% of the design capacity as draining will start behaving non-linear and unexpected power issues my occur. A 3-year-old 50 Wh battery will show >50% wear and will last about 2 hours (from 100 to 3-5%) with Balanced power plan, battery saver on, casual browsing, 50% reduced brightness, no video/music back playing and nothing running at the background and nothing connected (no peripherals/monitors, etc.).