Battery Calibration vs Emptying the Battery. Are there any major differences?

Elysium82
Elysium82 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter

I am new to this, but this is what I should run once a month in order to extend the battery life?
Does letting it charge to 100% and then just letting it drain until it goes into sleep mode do the same thing?

Thanks

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,986 Trailblazer

Negative, first there is no such a thing as "calibrating" a Li-Ion battery, you have to register one full charge cycle in Windows with a new battery, only once and after you reinstalled Windows. I recommend uninstalling AcerSense and Acer Care Center or disable this Calibration option in Windows Services together with the 80% battery charge limiting option. You cannot "Empty" the battery in Windows unless you use the USB port overnight for charging an external device while the laptop is shutdown (Acer Quick Access has that option that you also should disable) that may deplete the battery and then you won't be able to charge it anymore because the Smart chip blocks charging (for safety). If you have a new laptop Acer will have done the Full Charge Cycle already as per instructions from the battery manufacturer, only when you replace the battery and don't turn off the laptop when drained to 3% but let the system shutdown by itself, don't worry you won't lose data.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,003 Trailblazer

Hi @Elysium82 In reality, a battery calibration or letting it run down is the same thing, it is about balancing the data that the battery provides to Windows, which is where we really read the charging data.
    These processes are carried out to obtain more realistic readings in Windows, but although both procedures are the same so that Windows has more reliable charging references, emptying the battery chemically damages the battery, causes unnecessary stress, and is not good for the battery. a complete emptying if this process is carried out continuously, although nothing happens if it is carried out punctually for some type of test.

The battery is protected by avoiding complete emptying and full charges. Full charging, especially if starting from a very low level of charge, produces heating in the battery and charger, which negatively affects both devices. For this, whenever you can use the power charger connected to the equipment and only use the battery in those cases where connecting the power charger is not possible.

In the event that you use the power charger for a long time, I am talking about more than 20/30 days, if it is convenient to disconnect the power charger, use the battery-powered equipment and when it is over 20/30% charged, connect the power charger again and use for another 20/30 days.

Greetings.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

The calibration only affects how much time Windows suggests is left… It doesn't do anything to the battery itself.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Elysium82
    Elysium82 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter

Ok. Good to know that. I thought it physically helps keep the battery healthy.
    I will just stick to the 20-80% rule that you have suggested. Thanks.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

The 80% portion of what you mention doesn't give you anything really. Charge it fully and leave it plugged in when convenient. Plug it in when it gets low while running on battery and you should be good to go. There are sometimes issues with the internal data kept by the battery, where it gets corrupted and confuses the OS, but those are seen much less often these days than when the smart batteries were first introduced after all those Mac fires and explosions a number of years ago…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.