ACER Swift 3 SF314-42 series barely turning on. when press random button take 20 min to turn on

Options
Surge08
Surge08 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 17 in Swift and Spin Series

My laptop has become very difficult to turn on. Typically I have to press random buttons and toggle with the mouse pad for 5-20 minutes each time to turn the laptop on. The keyboard usually lights up first and after more pushing random buttons the screen comes on. When it does come on it works perfectly however the date and time needs resynced.

When I press the power button the lightbulb indicator turns blue for 4 seconds and turns off, it seems there is some kind of booting issue. Everytime I switch it off it seems to take longer to turn on. Today it wouldn’t turn on at all although the keyboard backlights were coming on. The battery light is also blue indicating it is full. I am wondering if it is worth replacing the CMOS battery or the main battery or both. And where in the UK can I obtain a CMOS battery for this model? I’ve had this device for around 3 or 4 years.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,739 Trailblazer
    Options

Try to Reset this PC (Type reset in the search bar) with the option not losing your files. If that did not fix the slow booting, I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the system to factory default for a small service fee and check the power button contacts that after 4 years may become bad (not expensive to repair).

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,364 Trailblazer
    Options

Taking that long to turn on almost always means there is an issue with the drive, and it has to be recovered before Windows will complete the startup. A reset might fix that temporarily, but only until it gets corrupted again. Check to see if there are any SMART errors…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.