Turn on Acer Nitro AN515-58 without power button

Options
aklajnert
aklajnert Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 17 in Nitro Gaming

I need to free some space from my desk, so I'd like to get rid of the laptop (Acer Nitro AN515-58) from the top and move it under (or next to) it. The problem is that I need to keep my laptop closed, and it will be hard to open it in order to press the power button.

In all of my laptops, I've been always using the "Power on AC" option, so whenever the PC gets plugged in, it will turn on. Unfortunately, my Acer Nitro doesn't have that option.

I've tried Wake on Lan. Plugged my laptop into the router, and sent the magic packet, but it worked only from the sleep mode. If I put my laptop to hibernation or shut down the system completely, it won't wake up. I've tried multiple settings in BIOS and the system, and I couldn't change it.

The last option that I tried was to enable "USB/TBT wake from s4". I'm using my laptop connected to a USB-C monitor (Dell U2719DC) and using it as a docking station. With the USB/TBT wake it kind of worked. Once I put the PC into hibernation (would prefer to shut down, but hibernation is still fine) and press a spacebar on my USB keyboard connected to the monitor, the PC wakes up. BUT, when I turned off the monitor and turned it on again, the keyboard wasn't able to wake up the computer anymore.

I've played with various options, disabled sleep for USB controllers, for network devices (for WoL), and disabled Fast Boot in both Windows and BIOS, and nothing helped.

Any ideas on what I can do? Is it possible to replace BIOS to add the "Power on AC" option? The "USB/TBT wake" option seems most promising, any ideas why it won't work after shutting down the monitor?

I'm attaching a screenshot of my BIOS settings (the Fast Boot is now disabled).

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,729 Trailblazer
    Options

This is a 2022 laptop model with Windows11 23H2 and Modern Standby suspend protocol, cannot be compared with W10 or older laptop power management. What you try to do is IMO not possible as Hibernate (and Fast Startup) should stay disabled in 23H2 according to Microsoft while the power plan is fixed to Balanced and closing the lid will suspend the laptop. I recommend not to change the S0-S4 and TBT settings and leave WOL/WOWL to default settings in BIOS. Reset BIOS to factory default with F9 and save changes when exit BIOS. Reset the Power Plan to factory default in "Edit Power plan".

• aklajnert
    Options

So there is no way to turn on laptop without a button? Is changing a BIOS (ofc in a service) to add "Power on AC" even possible, or it is not supported on a hardware level?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,729 Trailblazer
    Options

HP has the "Power On When AC Detected" option in BIOS but I have not seen this in any Acer BIOS, Reddit has some ideas:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/HPOmen/comments/11olya4/power_on_when_ac_detected/ There may be BCDEDIT commands but if not supported in BIOS, no point.

• aklajnert
    Options

Got it, so Power on AC is not an option.

Is it then possible for Acer laptops to wake up from a shutdown with using WoL/WoWL? It seems that some computers can do that, I guess it could depend on the BIOS, but I probably also some Win11 settings are important here.

Also - any ideas why the "USB/TBT Wake" doesn't work after turning off my monitor? That option would be the most convenient for me, as I won't have to rely on a smartphone to send WoL packet.

• Thinkpositiv
    Thinkpositiv Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

@Puraw
    > What you try to do is IMO not possible as Hibernate (and Fast Startup) should stay disabled in 23H2 according to Microsoft …

Do you have a link for that MS recommendation?

@aklajnert
    At work I have two DELL Monitors with USB Ports. Same situation there, when the monitors go to sleep, USB won't initially work until they get a (video) signal. I think that is their stand-by way of working.
    Therefore, I connected my keyboard to the Notebooks docking station directly. Then I can wake up my notebook from sleep with the keyboard.