Add a 2.5 hdd into an Aspire T5640 as second drive

Options
VoltacceptYT
VoltacceptYT Member Posts: 1 New User

I was wondering how one would install a 2.5 hdd that came from an old laptop running Ubuntu 14.04 into an old Acer Aspire T5640 desktop

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,445 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is no difference in a 2.5" or a 3.5" HDD SATA 2 or 3 interface as they are both SATA data plugs and power plugs and they will plug into the T5640 desktops mainboard and PSU, the only difference is that the laptops 2.5" HDD is smaller in size, and you will need a 2.5" adapter to mount it into the desktop case.

You can try and connect this Ubuntu 14.04 OS HDD to the T5640 desktop and see if it will intergrade into the drivers of the T5640 desktop and work (I know that Win-10 will work but I've never tried Ubuntu) I think that you need to specifically install the Ubuntu OS onto the T5640 desktop for it to work, but its worth a try to connect the drive and see if it works. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,445 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is no difference in a 2.5" or a 3.5" HDD SATA 2 or 3 interface as they are both SATA data plugs and power plugs and they will plug into the T5640 desktops mainboard and PSU, the only difference is that the laptops 2.5" HDD is smaller in size, and you will need a 2.5" adapter to mount it into the desktop case.

You can try and connect this Ubuntu 14.04 OS HDD to the T5640 desktop and see if it will intergrade into the drivers of the T5640 desktop and work (I know that Win-10 will work but I've never tried Ubuntu) I think that you need to specifically install the Ubuntu OS onto the T5640 desktop for it to work, but its worth a try to connect the drive and see if it works. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍