Predator PH317-53 possibly corrupted BIOS

Options
K0dy
K0dy Member Posts: 4 New User

In short, I recently had to factory reset my laptop after a Windows update softlocked it.
As I was reconfiguring everything I noticed that the Predator Sense software that came with the laptop was no longer functional, as the UI did not appear after the logo transition. The process still runs in the background but doesn't seem to do anything.

After taking a closer look I noticed that the BIOS was behaving abnormally. Submenus are not accesible and every option within them is marked with grey. This includes the "Load default configuration" option. I can still navigate inside the BIOS, but I can not modify it in any way as far as I can tell.

Could I somehow reflash the BIOS if my warranty has expired?
And can the Predator Sense software be repaired?

If there is more information needed to fix the issues please ask freely.
The software was downloaded from the official website for my model.
Laptop details:

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,726 Trailblazer
    Options

This is originally a Windows10 laptop, did you upgrade to Windows11 or installed W11 with an ISO image, what version? Routine Windows updates won't corrupt BIOS or OS unless Windows was not installed properly, or you aborted the update installation by cutting off the power. I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the system to factory default for a small service fee.

• K0dy
    Options

I'll look further into this BIOS issue and decide if it's worth bringing to Acer Services. If I manage to find an alternative solution, I'll bring it up later.

Oh, and to be clear about how this issue came to be, I was forced to abort an update as it was taking more than a few hours. I remember the registry being altered before the factory reset (I managed to safe boot once after aborting the update). Now that I think about it, it could have affected the Predator Sense software as it does store some information in the registry. You'd think that a factory reset and a reinstall of the software would get rid of that, but who knows. I'll check this out too in a 12 hours or so and update the thread if anything is found.

Excluding that, do you have any clue as to what could be preventing the Predator Sense software from displaying? Third-party anti-virus software is out of the question, as are any missing dependencies. Unless there are any dependencies that don't come with the bundled software.

• K0dy
    Options

Late update, but the Predator software still doesn't display its interface after clearing all registry data associated with it. That's all for now.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,726 Trailblazer
    Options

I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reprogram the EEPROM and reset the system to factory default for a small service fee. Even if the Acer technician replaces the EEPROM that is not a big expense. Major system updates can take hours, you should have left the laptop connected to the adapter overnight and not aborted with the power button. 😑

• K0dy
    Options

Well this is a rather dissapointing solution. My best guess as to what the problem was is that the drivers were outdated. When I intalled the Predator Sense of a model that's still being updated it surprisingly worked. All I had to do after that was rename the Predator PH317-55 folder to the name of my model (Predator PH317-53). It's located at the following path: PredatorSense_V3.00.3196_MSFT_SIGNED_20221104\plugs

With this I only have one remaining issue. That is accessing any submenus in my BIOS.