Charging issues with Acer Swift X Laptop (SFX14-41G)

Options
0819orbt
0819orbt Member Posts: 1 New User

For about a week now I've been having a recurring power problem. My acer laptop does not reliably charge.

For example, sometimes my laptop is off, I plug in my USB-C charger, and the orange light goes on, but other times it doesn't. Sometimes the laptop is plugged in and only starts charging when turning on the laptop, but then later stops charging. The laptop can charge to 100% when it isn't having this problem, but this happens almost every time I plug in the computer.

I do not think this is a problem with the charger, I have been able to use that USB-C charger to charge other devices without problems, but when I use different chargers on the laptop, it sometimes fails to charge. I have tried a normal phone charger on the laptop (which has worked in the past) and a MacBook charger, but both did not charge reliably either.

I've had this laptop for about a year and 8 months now, any help would be appreciated!

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,666 Trailblazer
    Options

You cannot use universal chargers; I have the larger 51G version of this laptop and you need this USB-Charger: https://store.acer.com/en-us/100w-adapter-kit-with-power-cord for the Swift X laptops, available at Amazon and eBay.
    If you are using this charger already and still have charging issues, there may be power setting in the Windows registry that needs to be reset to default. System Restore can do that if you have System Protection enabled (disabled is the default), type restore in Search and click on "Create a restore point" and check if System Protection is enabled:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,329 Trailblazer
    Options

You have a 90W USB-C charger and any third party charger that provides 90W or more will work fine. What I've found works when the contact isn't quite good enough is to twist the charger end 180 degrees to there's a little torque tension against it in the socket. That seems to deal with the issues where it doesn't quite make good enough contact to initiate the charge process.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.