Boot issues on Aspire 4741Z

Options
4741Zuser
4741Zuser Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
edited June 15 in Aspire Laptops

Since 2022, my Aspire 4741Z has booting trouble. The problem has been fixed (kind of) since a few months ago. I found out it was the ram. THENNNNN it started having boot issues again and im out of ideas really. I do not have spare ram, so i can't just replace the [Sensitive Content] ram stick.

Help would be appreciated

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,386 Trailblazer
    edited June 16
    Options

Boot problems with old laptops like the Aspire 4741Z could be from numerous issues and not only from its DDR3 ram, your boot problem could also be that the EC chip, the Chipset chip are either partially frozen or faulty, which with the EC chip it can be replaced with a new chip but with the Chipset chip you need to buy a second hand chip which usually are hard to find a good working chip, so be careful if you buy one (especially from AliExpress where they sell allot of faulty chips) it could also be the bios battery that needs replacing.

What I would try and do is to do a hard reset by taking the main battery out first, then replace the bios battery and short its +&- pins to reset CMOS, then take the ram out and leave the laptop like that overnight, as this resets a frozen RC, Chipset and bios chips and then reboot the laptop and see if the laptop boots properly. If this hard reset doesn't fix your boot problems, you need to take your laptop to an experienced technician to analyze the laptop and change the appropriate chips (if they are available) for your Aspire 4741Z. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

This is where the RTC/BIOS battery is in your laptop, you need to take the laptop apart, the Aspire 4741 SG is freely available online and that has a great guide of how to disassemble your laptop so I've included this SG for your info below.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍