ACER SWIFT A314-54 N17W7 model: Having trouble with upgrading RAM.

Options
ZhunX100
ZhunX100 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 15 in Swift and Spin Series

I recently bought a KINGSTON Fury Impact 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL15 SODIMM DRAM for upgrade on my Acer laptop. I wasn't aware at first that the onboard RAM frequency speed is 2133MHz, I was just confident that ANY DDR4 RAM could be compatible for this model based on the manual I checked online. Then, after installing the RAM, the laptop did not detected the new hardware and was confused that MEMTEST32 and CPU-Z tools did not also detect any additional RAM. Already done reinserting and checked if installed correctly. Also tried inserting on another laptop (DELL Latitude 7490) and found no troubles on it. Please advise what to do since I really need to upgrade my ACER SWIFT, and please note that there is no BIOS down clocking (memory) option available.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,726 Trailblazer
    edited June 15
    Options

Your laptop model is Acer Swift SF314-54, Model. No: N17W7.
    Ram supports DDR4 PC4-19200 2400MHz Non-ECC SODIMM memory and comes installed with 4GB (Soldered) memory.
    https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/swift-3-sf314-54 You can only use standard JEDEC RAM modules without XMP profile as that is not supported by BIOS. You can use 2666MHz or 3200MHz but the system will still downclock to 2400MHz. Maximum supported RAM is 12GB (4GB+8GB). If you want to know the details of the soldered RAM, remove the RAM module in the slot, close the back and run this command: wmic memorychip list full note down the part number and google it online. Note: You will only get 2400MHz when RAM runs in Dual Channel Mode with two absolutely identical modules (same part number). You want 12GB mixed RAM so that will run in Single Channel Mode at 2100 MHz or slower.

• ZhunX100
    Options

I have tried another RAM that has 2400MHz from SK HYNIX PN: HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH and still wont work on my ACER laptop, but still good on the DELL. Now, I am having doubts buying another RAM if I will have the same problem, but I still gotta try in order to upgrade my RAM.

Thank you for your help btw.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,364 Trailblazer
    Options

Is there a chance you have an A514-54 instead? Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx. The N17W7 model number doesn't help, since Acer reuses those on different model lines. The supported SO-DIMM memory on an A514-54 is 2666. The Kingston memory you purchased is XMP memory, so it will run at it's base JEDEC speed, 2133 MHz, which is why it dropped the system speed when you installed it. You likely need real 2666MHz memory, not the XMP and not the slower 2400.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ZhunX100
    Options

well, I am not quiet familiar on the different specs for each model. Please check these photos of my msinfo32 and the laptop manufacturer sticker, maybe you can find the cause of the issue why my KINGSTON and SK HYNIX DRAM were not detected on my laptop.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,364 Trailblazer
    Options

So, SF314-54 as Puraw guessed. Your system supports a single 8GB 2666MHz SO-DIMM so the rest of the suggestions are correct. Get a 8GB 2666 stick that's not XMP and you should be good to go. Just send the XMP back for a refund…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.