10 secs after starting the display resolution changes from 1920x1080 on SF114-32

Options
Christopher_W
Christopher_W Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 13 in Swift and Spin Series

I then have to go to settings to change it back. This has only started recently. I upgraded from Windows 10S to Windows 11 a long time ago. Any suggestions as to how to fix the display?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,739 Trailblazer
    Options
  • Christopher_W

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you Puraw for your speedy reply. I've looked at the link you gave and feel the process is beyond my skills ! I've already had 3 Microsoft support people try to resolve it. First two thought they had and the third said I should go to Acer and find out how to replace the driver. I guess I'll live with it rather than risk making things worse.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,739 Trailblazer
    Options

Uninstalling/updating a display driver is a simple routine in Windows11 23H2 and DDU, like Intel states, is one of the most user-friendly programs I ever used, free from Wagnardsoft.com, 100% safe. Nothing can go wrong, don't let Windows dominate you like an Apple OS black box and don't be afraid to maintain it but learn how to be in full control, that does not mean you should experiment with Windows settings and indiscriminately download from (unvetted) 3rd-party vendors. I have been using DDU before Windows11 came out, now no need any more as everything is controlled by the system, but I don't use external monitors or other peripherals and never play games. Keep Windows up to date we are now on W11 23H2 22631.3672
    Make sure you have System Protect enabled so periodically the registry and your settings will be automatically backed up so you can restore your laptop to an earlier date in minutes without losing anything, read about this important Windows feature and if you don't have an external backup drive get a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus USB case and after each monthly update backup your entire boot drive. https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-system-restore-in-windows-11.15866/ Don't use 3rd party anti-virus, system cleaners or driver support programs. 😉

• Christopher_W

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks Puraw for your helpful comments. I'll give it further thought. Yes, I'm on 22631.3672 build of W11.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,364 Trailblazer
    Options

You don't tell us just which laptop you have. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx. Do you have an external monitor connected as well as the builtin display?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Christopher_W

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks, billsey. My Acer is Model Number: SF114-32 Part Number: NX.GXUEK.008 a Swift 1 laptop. No external monitor.

• billsey
    Options

OK, if it had had an external monitor there might have been some sort of interaction with the external's resolution. Let's test to see if there's a driver or app overriding the setting. Boot into safe mode (hit the Windows key, then type msconfig <enter>, click on the Boot tab and select safe with the network box checked. Reboot and you will come up in safe mode) to see if it happens still. If not we need to look for what is causing it in the third party apps and drivers, if it still happens it's either a hardware glitch or the OS configuration.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Christopher_W

Tinkerer

Options

Many thanks billsey for your clear and helpful simple instruction steps.

1. Booted up in Safe Mode. Used my browser (Firefox) online and my email program to download and send emails all went well and resolution stayed at 1920x1080.
    2. Booted up normally and resolution switched from 1920x1080 to 640x480 and I had to go to settings and reset to 1920x1080.
    3. So it looks like third party apps and drivers?
    4. What are my next steps please?

• billsey
    Options

You can use msconfig to enable and disable apps and services one at a time or in batches. I'd like start with the services tab, hide all Microsoft services, then disable everything. Reboot and see if the problem show up, then go back in and enable half of them. If it shows up, disable half of what's enabled and keep trying until you have it pinned down. It's a pain, but doing half, then half again, etc. is better than doing them one at a time. If it's not a service then use the Startup section of Task Manager to enable and disable apps that start with the OS.

• Christopher_W

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks billsey and noted. I'll try that after the week-end and let you know how it goes.

• billsey
    Options

Yeah, keep us informed, it's an odd enough behavior I'd like to know what causes it…