Bios recovery Predator helios 300 PH317-54

drjulian
drjulian Member Posts: 1 New User

My Predator Helios 300 (PH317-54) will not boot. The keyboard lights up and the fans go on but no logo or boot.

My research indicates this is likely a corrupt bios.

I have found instructions (download firmware for this model, unzip it and unzip the exe, get the .fd file and put it alone on a usb stick, press FN+ESC+Power and it should load from the usb).

I have followed these steps but I never get the fast fans or see any blinking on the USB stick.

I assume I have the file name incorrect. The two bios firmware versions available on the support site are 1.04 and 1.06 and the file names are Bios_1.04.fd and Bios_1.06.fd respectively. I have tried them both unsuccessfully on several different USB sticks to ensure it is not a problem with the usb drive.

Can someone please advise me if I have the name of these files incorrect? Or if there is some step I am missing, or is there a different bios file I should be using?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

BTW, I found a youtube video on how to use a hex editor to find the .fd name, but a search of both files does not show and encrypted .fd name, so I assume that does not apply to this version.

Here is an image of the unziped exe file for 1.06 showing the file I am copying to the usb stick.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,457 Trailblazer
    edited June 7

Acer community prohibits any guides and/or tuitions in regard to bios programming and/or flashing like you require, this is largely due to safety reasons and the complications and dangers that any bios involved issues can cause to inexperienced members and users bricking their PCs.

The best option for you to take is to search eBay or the web for a preprogrammed PH317-54 bios chip that has the last version 1.06 bios and either replace this bios chip yourself (if you have all the micro soldering tools) or take your laptop to either Acer in your country as they will do this for a minimal fee, or take your laptop to an experienced technician that does bios programming and has the tools. Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,102 Pathfinder

@drjulian

In the BIOS recovery mode, the fans should run at maximum speed. Make sure that you hold the ESC + Fn key first and then press the power button after that.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!