Nitro 5 an515-58 SSD installation issue : Boot failure and Keyboard flash

Filb
Filb Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 6 in Nitro Gaming

Hello,

I helped my young cousin install a 2.5 inch sata ssd drive on his nitro 5 an515-58. installation was easy. However, the computer would not boot up after install. Hitting the power button resulted in a quick flash of light on the keyboard and then nothing.

So we removed the hard drive and the laptop ran fine. So we re-installed the hard drive, making sure that we followed the Acer video to ensure that we made no mistakes, but got the same result - a flash of light on the keyboard and nothing.

Could it be that the hard drive is not compatible or a factory defect?

Or did we do something wrong in the install?

(I have installed a number of hard drives ram and even CPUs in other computers so understand the basics like anti-static precautions etc.)

Thank you

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,604 Trailblazer
    edited June 4 Answer ✓

It could be the flat ribbon Sata cable connector to the motherboard. If this is going to be your boot drive, did you restore the complete backup from the old boot drive? If you cloned, try to back up the complete original boot drive to an external USB drive and restore that backup image to the new initialized Sata SSD. If this Sata drive is for data storage only. check in BIOS that the M.2 SSD is HDD0 (boot drive) and not the 2.5" Sata SSD, you can change that in Boot Devices (Boot screen BIOS). Note that you cannot have two boot loaders on a Windows laptop, make sure only one drive has the Windows system on it.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,604 Trailblazer
    edited June 4 Answer ✓

It could be the flat ribbon Sata cable connector to the motherboard. If this is going to be your boot drive, did you restore the complete backup from the old boot drive? If you cloned, try to back up the complete original boot drive to an external USB drive and restore that backup image to the new initialized Sata SSD. If this Sata drive is for data storage only. check in BIOS that the M.2 SSD is HDD0 (boot drive) and not the 2.5" Sata SSD, you can change that in Boot Devices (Boot screen BIOS). Note that you cannot have two boot loaders on a Windows laptop, make sure only one drive has the Windows system on it.

• Filb
    Filb Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for your answer. The sata drive is for storage only. I don't have access to the laptop to check the bios at the moment, but does it need to be set so that it looks to boot only off of the M.2 SSD?

Years ago I added multiple drives to my desktop and that bios looked at each drive (ncluding the DVD) in a certain order for boot loader and you could change the order that it looked - is this similar? Change it to look only to the M.2 to boot off of?