CPU Upgrade options for the Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600

JonesTheMantis
JonesTheMantis Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello everyone, I have an Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600 with came with the i5-8400 and GTX 1060.

Iv'e upgraded my GPU to the RTX 3060 and is happy so far, but I've noticed CPU getting upto a 100 percent usage more than the GPU which shows a bottleneck.

I would like to upgrade my CPU and would like to know what my options are. I would like to get an i5-12400F as its on sale but am unsure if it'll be compatible with the mobo.

Help appreciated, thanks

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    edited June 4 Answer ✓

The below list is the mainboard and the LGA1151 socket CPUs fitted by Acer to the PO3-600 desktop and are compatible with the mainboard and bios versions that came with the PO3-600 desktop. The PO3-600 has one type of mainboard that is designed with the Intel B360 chipset for both 8th and 9th Gen CPUs and it can be upgraded to a 9th Gen CPU but with the last bios version R01-C1 installed. This 9th Gen CPU will give you enough performance that you will need together with the upgraded RTX3060 GPU. and I presume that you ahev also upgraded the PSU also.

The 12th Gen Intel CPUs are a completely different socket and they are an LGA 1700 socket type CPUs and these CPUs will not fit into the PO3-600 mainboard CPU socket, you will need a new mainboard which the PO3-600 has an unusual shape mainboard that is an Acer proprietary DTX size mainboard but the Acer board has ports that directly protrude to the front facia of the case, so you will need a new case also. So to upgrade to a new 12th Gen CPU, you will need to upgrade the mainboard, case and PSU, as I'm sure that you already upgraded the PSU as the RTX3060 GPU card needs a min 550W PSU and the PO3-600 comes oem with a 500W single rail PSU. Good luck and hope this helps.

PO3-600 mainboard fitted by Acer

PO3-600 CPU list fitted by Acer to this desktop

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    edited June 4 Answer ✓

The below list is the mainboard and the LGA1151 socket CPUs fitted by Acer to the PO3-600 desktop and are compatible with the mainboard and bios versions that came with the PO3-600 desktop. The PO3-600 has one type of mainboard that is designed with the Intel B360 chipset for both 8th and 9th Gen CPUs and it can be upgraded to a 9th Gen CPU but with the last bios version R01-C1 installed. This 9th Gen CPU will give you enough performance that you will need together with the upgraded RTX3060 GPU. and I presume that you ahev also upgraded the PSU also.

The 12th Gen Intel CPUs are a completely different socket and they are an LGA 1700 socket type CPUs and these CPUs will not fit into the PO3-600 mainboard CPU socket, you will need a new mainboard which the PO3-600 has an unusual shape mainboard that is an Acer proprietary DTX size mainboard but the Acer board has ports that directly protrude to the front facia of the case, so you will need a new case also. So to upgrade to a new 12th Gen CPU, you will need to upgrade the mainboard, case and PSU, as I'm sure that you already upgraded the PSU as the RTX3060 GPU card needs a min 550W PSU and the PO3-600 comes oem with a 500W single rail PSU. Good luck and hope this helps.

PO3-600 mainboard fitted by Acer

PO3-600 CPU list fitted by Acer to this desktop

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer

Your system uses the 8th gen Intel chipset, so only supports 8th gen processors.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.