Acer Aspire TC-895 unwanted noise problem.got a small pop or crack,no matter what I was listening to

PoSuM
PoSuM Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I bought my TC-895 i7 with 32GB ram nearly 3 years ago and have been delighted with it. Really a great PC. The reason I bought it though was to use Ableton for some music production projects. I was living somewhere with wiring that was not very new and every so often I got a small pop or crack, no matter what I was listening to; CD, YouTube, downloads etc. Anyway, a year ago I moved but found that my PC was still making the same popping and cracking (only once every couple minutes). I tried updating all the drivers, as standard. I was using a Sony digital stereo for monitoring output so I bought a Volt interface running new Kali Audio 6" v2 monitors with Mogami cables. I also have a Dbx 286s. Nothing stops the noises. Even as I write one has just dropped. Does anybody know if this is a soundcard problem or am I missing something here? Thanks for any help. PoSuM

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,573 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Are there any MANUAL VOLUME CONTROLS involved ?

If so work them UP AND DOWN to get rid of the dust/dirt off of them. You may have to use a spray cleaner.

• PoSuM

Tinkerer

Hi,

thanks for that idea but no, unfortunately everything is digital and the noises come randomly and without my touching anything. Good call though.

PoSuM

• Larryodie

Then elimintion, substitution is your best method to narrow it down.

Be sure that all connections are tight and wriggle them around to check the connecitons.

• PoSuM

Tinkerer

Hi Larryodie,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have all new TRS and XLRs and they are firmly located.

The noises are singular and come individually every couple of minutes. There appear to be 2 different types: a pop and a crack. The pop sounds like a pea dropping onto the speaker membrane and the crack sounds like a tiny stick breaking.

I`ve altered latency/sampling levels but I imagine that this setting only relates to that software.

I wondered if a voltage regulator might help. I`ve tried switching off programs running in the background but this has its own difficulties. I simply hoped there might be a fix.

I don`t mind spending some money on a fix as I`m already in deep but, I read somewhere that a soundcard upgrade for the TC-895 also involves the motherboard.

Thanks again for the reply.

*´;)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•*PoSuM

• Larryodie

Do some tapping around to see if you can simulate it with vibration .

I wouldn't think that it would be a voltaqe regulator problem.

You are going to have to do some eliminations buy subbing or bypassing.

Is it on BOTH channels ?

• PoSuM

Tinkerer

Yes, both channels and always around the same volume. It can happen when I`m just sitting listening and I`m not touching anything usually, when it happens.

As long as the sound is being used for something then it can happen.

This is why I thought it might be a soundcard problem.

*´;)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•*PoSuM

• Larryodie

You should be able to get a add on sound card for $10 -$20 .

• Larryodie

I googled the posted link.

Your 32GB Ram seems Ok so go to task manager and look at your usage and processes.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209070329-How-to-avoid-crackles-and-audio-dropouts

• PoSuM

Tinkerer

Hi bud,

That`s incredibly helpful. Thank you.

I`ll look into that when I get up.

Cheers

*´;)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•*PoSuM

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,522 Trailblazer

You have to remember that the Acer Aspire TC-895 is a budget-friendly pre-built desktop PC that offers good value for its price. you should NOT use its embedded audio provided by Acer if its been giving you crackling and popping noises since new and if you are using this desktop for audio editing and mixing.

For your information, this is the oem Aspire TC-895 desktops audio specs. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• PoSuM

Tinkerer

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I understand that my Aspire is not a top-of-the-range computer. However, there has to be a reason why this is happening. And, as I said, I`m looking to find out if an upgrade will cure it. Nobody is replying with info about this, not sure why. Is it not possible?

Thanks for the info above. Not sure what I can do with that though? Are they 2 different sound cards?

Thanks again.

PoSuM

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

How are your speakers connected? Through the RCA jacks on the back, the headphone jack on the front, wireless through Bluetooth, through HDMI to the monitor? Are the speakers plugged into the same wall outlet as the computer? My experience has been that a grounding issue in the power can cause small pops in the sound when static is discharged…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PoSuM

Tinkerer

Hi,

Yes, great reply, thanks.

I`m happy with all the connections and all wiring is top quality and new. As are the interface and monitors.

Grounding is something that keeps popping up in my thoughts. However, I have a good surge lead and all other cables and connections are very good and solidly connected. TRS and XLRs. I did wonder whether a power regulator might fix it. I have also asked many question about a soundcard upgrade but for some reason not one person has replied about this.

Thanks for your time in replying.

*´;)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•*PoSuM

• Larryodie

Look at process in Task Manager, while it's running. See if you're running HIGH ?

Sound cards are cheap so you can experiment.

• Larryodie

You may have some unwanted apps running. Task Manager will show them.

Look at start up apps to see if unwanted are disabled like VIRUS checker.

• PoSuM

Tinkerer

Hi again buddy,

Yep, all very good suggestions but I did the whole Task Manager thing as one of my first options.

Thing about the sound card is that if you look online, it says that this PC can have the soundcard upgraded but it`s not straight forward. I read on one page that it was attached to the motherboard??!! I scanned the computer with upgrade software and it just kept scanning. It didn`t stop. I had to switch it off eventually after about 45 minutes. The whole thing is baffling to me.

IDK!!

Cheers for your reply though.

*´;)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•*PoSuM

• billsey

The audio circuits are all embedded on the motherboard, but can be overridden by plugging a separate sound card in. You didn't answer my question about how you are connected to the computer…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PoSuM

Tinkerer

edited June 17

HI Billsey,

Sorry, I overlooked your question. I am connected with USB-C.

I didn`t realise that a plug in card would over-ride the standard one. Would my interface not already do that? Can you recommend the best soundcard, up to £150? And, do you think a voltage regulator would help?

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards

*´;)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•*PoSuM

• billsey

USB sound is often done with the device providing most audio functions, unlike a speaker plugged into the RCA jacks or a headset plugged into the 3.5mm jack. What device do you have that's connected via the USB-C?