500 SE PT516-52s - USB-C to Displayport for Valve Index?

Joeziah
Joeziah Member Posts: 1 New User

Bought a USB-C to Displayport adapter, I'm trying to get my Valve Index to work.

I see the index show up as a monitor in my windows interface but steam VR will not recognize it.

Some people with other types of laptops said they have to switch the source for the thunderbolt from the iGPU but I do not see anywhere to do that.

I hear tale of a "Mux" switch but cannot find anything regarding that.

Anyone know how to get the thunderbolt ports to act like displayports connected to my GPU or using my GPU. I think that may be the issue.

By the way my adapter I bought (USB-C to DP) does work with monitors, I'm able to extend my desktop with an external monitor just fine.

However, I think its using the iGPU to do it and I need to force it to use my 3080.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer

The connection will always work on the laptops iGPU with lower resolution graphics requirements, the Nvidia RTX3080Ti graphics is switched on automatically and only incorporated into the laptops use when high end graphics are required for the Valve Index Headphones.

The Valve Index Headphones are very easy to connect its in its manual "read it" this is just a part of the connection from the PDF manual. Good luck.

Turn on your controllers using the System button. This launches SteamVR. Controllers will auto matically pair with your headset, as indicated by their green lights.
    Note: Your controllers are partially charged for a few hours of playtime. To charge them, use the provided USB cables.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• RedMacb
    RedMacb Member Posts: 1 New User

I've got a similar problem, but with the PSVR2 PC adapter - there's nothing I can seem to do to get the USB-C/Thunderbolt port to connect to the dGPU.

I did some searching and found schematics for the laptop's motherboard, which has the circuit diagram for the Thunderbolt port, and it's definitely wired to the CPU/iGPU and not the dGPU. But, it also had the circuit diagrams for the DP port, which is wired to the dGPU - and a DP port circuit is physically on the motherboard… just not the components.

Has anyone ever tried adding the displayport by connecting the missing components? (or at least know if its possible) or is it likely to damage the dGPU if I try?

It's an AN515-58-582F (i5/RTX4050) by the way.