My pc runs slow (Windows 11) so i want to upgrade XC-895 to SSD. Best recommendations please.

riccyJ
riccyJ Member Posts: 1 Newbie

My pc runs slow (Windows 11) and I have been advised to main culprit is the disc drive - mostly at 50% - and that SSD is the way forward.

My disc is 1TB and used space is 123GB on C:; 176GB on D:

I guess that 500GB would suit.

Best recommendations please.

Thank you for your help.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,519 Trailblazer
    edited May 26
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,255 Trailblazer

I wouldn't do a 2.5" SSD, since the motherboard supports an NVMe x4 3.0 M.2 slot. A drive placed there will be much faster than a 2.5", and easier to get up and running since it won't require an external case for the cloning process. The Samsungs are pretty close to the best options, but most of the brand names will work great. I'd go ahead and get a 1TB version, it will be less that double the price of a 512GB, so the price per meg will be lower. Use any of the cloning apps (I used Macrium Reflect free last time I did one) to clone your HDD to the new SSD, then use the boot menu (you may have to turn it on in the BIOS) to choose the SSD as your default boot device. Once you are sure everything is working as expected, use Disk Management to clear all partitions off the HDD and create one big partition for it to be used as a data drive. You can also likely remove the D: partition form the SSD and expand the C: to take up the full space on the drive.

When I do similar setups with my machines, I configure backups to use the HDD since I seldom have a need for that much data storage, and am much safer overall if I have regular backups happening.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.