Why is my Micron_3400 NVMe sdd's write and read speeds are too low PHN16-71

Options
hamurci
hamurci Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited May 20 in Predator Laptops

Today I've bought a new 4tb ssd which has lower write and speed values.I've installed it to my Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 (PHN16-71). I did a speed test on my new ssd and saw 3500mb/s value.Than I tried that test on my pre-installed Micron_3400 1tb ssd and it resulted 885mb/s. I did some google'ing and Micron ssd has too much higher write and read speeds by default(almost 6000mb/s). Why could that values be that low on my pc? Welp!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,467 Trailblazer
    Options

The Predator PHN16-71 laptop has 2x M.2 slots that are of the Gen 4 x4 lane type, the 4TB M.2 Micron 3400 SSD is a Gen 4 x4 lane drive and is quoted by Micron to operating at speeds of sequential Read: 6600MB/s and sequential Write: 5000MB/s. Try to test the drive with a different M.2 SSD benchmarking software than the CrystalDiskMark as this software sometimes does not install properly and is faulty and gives faulty results, try the ATTO Disk Benchmark, or AS SSD Benchmark as they are more reliable and see if the 4TB Micron 3400 drive gives its oem read/write speed results. Good luck as I'm sure that the testing is wrong as the PHN16-71 M.2 slots is quicker than your tests above. For a better guide but this does not have the 4TB Micron 3400 M.2 SSD there, have a look at the SSD Benchmarks Hierarchy 2024 for 1TB, 2TB and 4TB M.2 SSD drives done by Toms Hardware, as its a very useful guide.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,295 Guru
    Options

Hello @hamurci,

Generally, low scores in the CrystalDiskMark tests can be caused by:

• Disk partitions incorrectly aligned;
    • Firmware issue;
    • Storage controller driver issue or outdated;
    • Latency caused by PCIe ASPM / LPM;
    • Thermal throttling;
    • SSD counterfeit ou assembled with badly/lowest perfomance NAND chips.

• hamurci
    hamurci Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Sadly, it seems like it was not a faulty test. What can I do?