Predator helios PHN16-71 display port thru usb-c not working?

Predatorgaming08
Predatorgaming08 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 17 in Predator Laptops

Hi, I recently bought my Acer Predator Neo 16 PHN16-71 about a week ago, and I wanted to use the 165Hz feature on my monitor I already use a HDMI cable but it only went up to 120hz. I read in the description of my laptop that it supports DisplayPort through USB-C, so I bought a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. However, when I tried it on my laptop using both Thunderbolt ports, it didn't work. The laptop would make a connecting sound, then the monitor would flash the display for less than a second before returning to the "no connection" screen. After that, the laptop would make the disconnect sound.

I tested the cable with my brother's Neo 16, and it also didn't work (we have the same laptop). So, I tried it with my Asus TUF A15 and my MacBook Pro M1 using the same cable and monitor, and it worked fine with both laptops. It even went up to 165Hz. So, I was wondering if I bought the wrong cable or if I'm doing something wrong?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Predatorgaming08
    Predatorgaming08 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi Did all expect trying a new cable and still experiencing the same issue Ill try to buy a new cable and see if it works

• joao17017
    joao17017 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have also had the same problem as you, the laptop does not output video through a USB display port to a USB display port. In my case, I use a portable monitor but to different devices such as a Samsung Galaxy S23, a Mackbook Air M3, and several 12th and 13th generation Asus laptops with Intel i5 and i7. I do have video through the same USB C display port cable to the DisplayPort monitor.
    I have sent it to Acer's warranty twice:
    The first time they did nothing, the laptop came back anyway, it cost me 15 days of waiting. I sent it because in Windows 11 when I connected a monitor, the Windows audio did not come out of any speaker. This lasted from November to June. In June, a BIOS update fixed the audio problem but not the video through the USB C displayport.
    The second time, according to them, they changed the board twice and they couldn't make it send video through the USB C display port. I asked for it to be returned to me because they made me waste my time for 1 month.
    When I received it, it now doesn't have internet through the Ethernet port. I have to connect an Ethernet adapter and there I have an Ethernet connection.
    It's the worst experience I've ever had with Acer in my life. I won't buy any device from them again. I don't recommend it.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,772 Trailblazer
    edited October 15

This is the PHN16-71 TBT/USB-C specs of this laptop and it should definitely connect with a USB-c cable, check the bios in the Main section and enable them all and check the TBT4 controller settings in your laptop if the ports are enabled, as that is where the problems are. Good luck.

PHN16-71 USB-C specs

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• joao17017
    joao17017 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have also had the same problem as you, the laptop does not output video through a USB display port to a USB display port. In my case, I use a portable monitor but to different devices such as a Samsung Galaxy S23, a Mackbook Air M3, and several 12th and 13th generation Asus laptops with Intel i5 and i7. I do have video through the same USB C display port cable to the DisplayPort monitor.
    I have sent it to Acer's warranty twice:
    The first time they did nothing, the laptop came back anyway, it cost me 15 days of waiting. I sent it because in Windows 11 when I connected a monitor, the Windows audio did not come out of any speaker. This lasted from November to June. In June, a BIOS update fixed the audio problem but not the video through the USB C displayport.
    The second time, according to them, they changed the board twice and they couldn't make it send video through the USB C display port. I asked for it to be returned to me because they made me waste my time for 1 month.
    When I received it, it now doesn't have internet through the Ethernet port. I have to connect an Ethernet adapter and there I have an Ethernet connection.
    It's the worst experience I've ever had with Acer in my life. I won't buy any device from them again. I don't recommend it.