Acer VX4660 - add on Storage. want to know whether it has 2.5 HDD, SSD with ATA connectors

prairiezabiak
prairiezabiak Member Posts: 4 New User

Have VX4660 Win 10 Pro with 500GB SSD; need more storage; can I add

1. SSD? - it says it had ATA connectors only
  2. 3.5 HDD (like Seagate) - probably not, PC only has 250W Power Supply
  3. ?? 2.5 HDD - not sure

TIA

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

Answers

• prairiezabiak

Have VX4660 Win 10 Pro with 500GB SSD; need more storage; can I add

1. SSD? - it says it had ATA connectors only
    2. 3.5 HDD (like Seagate) - probably not, PC only has 250W Power Supply
    3. ?? 2.5 HDD - not sure

TIA

I am new at this and have no idea how it works

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,666 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

You can upgrade to Windows11 Pro.
    There are two RAM slots for DDR4-2666MHz modules, 16GB/slot maximum RAM supported 32GB (see Crucial link below).
    Two M.2 2280/2230 PCIe 3.0 x4, ports for NVMe Gen3 SSDs up to 2TB and M.2 Sata-3 SSDs Gen3 or Gen4 Samsung 970 Evo Plus-980Pro up to 2TB are recommended but the Samsung 980Pro will run at Gen3 speed (half the rated speed).

There is only one 3.5" Sata-3 port that with an adapter cable can support a 2.5" Sata-3 SSD like the Samsung 870 Evo V-NAND up to 4TB
    https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/veriton-x4660g

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,354 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Actually, there is only one M.2 slot for a SSD, it's #16 here:

The second M.2 slot (#25) is only for a WLAN card, not for an SSD. There are four slots for memory, supporting up to 16GB per slot, so 64GB maximum, not 32GB. The four SATA connectors (#11) allow up to four drives, but you need the power cables to drive them that plug into #13. Typically they ship with only one of the cables. The top one here is for a SATA HDD or SSD and an optical drive, the second is for two HDD or SSDs.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • prairiezabiak

Thanks for summarizing it.

I actually can not stand Windows 11 - what a disaster of an O/S, BUT I have to go that way because some programs will no longer run on Windows 7.

Once I opened the 4660 SFF box, I realized there is no easy way to do this. I always had desktop tower PCs. (open up and you can add/change memory or add/change disk - HDD or SSD - done that many times). This one there is no easy access without taking everything apart - I was not ready to do that.

Went to the shop where I bought this VX4660 and bought more memory and SSD - they installed it for a small fee. HDD or EVO would be more work to add as I would need cables and there were no extra power plugs available.

(It seems to me all Veriton boxes are different and the only schematic I found was on the back of the unit; no Maint Manual on-lie for 4660)

SO, it all work fine

• prairiezabiak

I went with SSD via PCle adapter (#22) - works great and did not need any extra cables. The shop where I bought this originally installed it for a small fee - happy with that.

THANKS