Resurrecting an old Aspire XC-895 i3. will the MB take a processer upgrade to i5 and RAM upgrade

Tim_GC
Tim_GC Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of using an old Aspire XC-895 to run CNC software and to check basic models in Fusion 360. No complex assemblies or rendering necessary.

Motherboard is a B46H5-AD and is fitted with an Intel i3 (10th Gen) and a massive 4Gb DDR4. As it stands the processing ability is outclassed by a geriatric slug on a pacemaker.

So, the question is, … will the MB take a processer upgrade to i5 and any idea how much RAM I can pack into the two slots. Or do I just cough up for Mini or a NUC.

Thanks in advance

Tim

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The list shown below are all the cpu's that Acer fits oem to the Aspire XC-895 desktop, your oem i3-10100 cpu is highlighted as you can upgrade the XC-895s Intel ® B460 Chipset mainboard to the i5 or i7 cpu's below, this is as long as you have the last bios Version: R01-A3 titled: Update ME version to v14.5.32.1397v4 as this bios version should have all the accumulative updates included so that your mainboard operates with the i5 and i7 cpu's. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Aspire XC-895 desktop oem compatible Acer fitted cpu's

XC-895 Memory Specifications and Ram types

Ram types fitted oem by Acer.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The list shown below are all the cpu's that Acer fits oem to the Aspire XC-895 desktop, your oem i3-10100 cpu is highlighted as you can upgrade the XC-895s Intel ® B460 Chipset mainboard to the i5 or i7 cpu's below, this is as long as you have the last bios Version: R01-A3 titled: Update ME version to v14.5.32.1397v4 as this bios version should have all the accumulative updates included so that your mainboard operates with the i5 and i7 cpu's. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Aspire XC-895 desktop oem compatible Acer fitted cpu's

XC-895 Memory Specifications and Ram types

Ram types fitted oem by Acer.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Tim_GC
    Tim_GC Member Posts: 2 New User

StevenGen,

Huge thanks for the prompt reply. A decent upgrade will be perfect for the intended use, and the small form factor (relatively speaking) will come in handy siting the box away from the swarf and sawdust.

Cheers

Tim 😁

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer

Just stay away from XMP memory, it will only run at it's base speed, which will likely be slower than the 3200MHz JEDEC memory gives you.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.