My acer aspire 5 is acting strange !!touchpad stopped working, CPU shows 80%

Options
ghaidad
ghaidad Member Posts: 5 New User
edited May 3 in Aspire Laptops

So I bought a month ago a brand new acer aspire 5 and a colleague at work generously installed a cracked version of windows 11, it was working fine for the first weeks and recently it is being extremely strange.

1. One day just suddenly the touchpad stopped working, I tried to do everything from unistalling the driver and reinstalling, updating manually checking the BIOS, I do everything right but the touchpad driver does not want to install and in fact is being installed under a folder by itself names "unknown devices" I tried to install the Serial IO driver (as indicated by the acer product support) in order to install the touchpad driver but nothing I install it but it won't show in the device manager

2. The pc CPU shows at 80% even though I have only just opened and did not run any apps, it has become suuuper heavy to open a google tab even and to even open anything at all.

3. Just as of today, this moment, the battery shows the sign that it is being charged but it is stuck at 80% and won't increase and the orange LED light by the side won't lit. I tried to update the battery driver, restart, disconnected the charger and let it but nothing. I even tried to let it lose couple of percentages in the charge and when I plug it the orange light is lit and it gets charged but it stops once again at 80%

I only recently bought the pc and am taking extremely care of it, it did not drop, nothing liquid was pourred on it and it is carefully being put and even left my house for couple of times.

I am sincerely concerned now that the battery has physical damages and only praying that it is acting this way because of the sus windows that my colleague installed.

Please advice I no longer know what to do and I am afraid that I wasted my money.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,887 Trailblazer
    Options

I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the system to factory default and install OEM Windows11 for a small fee.

• ghaidad
    ghaidad Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Planning to because I am suspecting that the issue is with the windows installed as the pc is brand new

• Stromb
    Stromb Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

For my E5 there is a keyboard shortcut that disables and enables the touchpad. Hold the Function key and push F7. (There's a small pictogram of a hand touching a rectangle on the F7 key.) It probably isn't the problem, but sometimes you get lucky.

My E5 came with Windows 10 and Microsoft has been offering me a free upgrade to Windows 11 version 23H2 for ages.

The power adapters (the little black brick between the computer and the power outlet) seem to be quite fragile. I've had several fail, perhaps by being stepped on where the thin wire leaves the power block. If this has happened to you sometimes you can wiggle the wire around gently, whilst kindof pushing it in towards the block and your computer will start charging again. If this works you should get a new power adapter asap. The power adapter also seems to struggle to dissipate enough heat once the ambient temperature is in the 90+ fahrenheit range if you're using the graphics card and I had one fail from apparently getting too hot.

As to the CPU going to 80%… Use ctrl-alt-delete to open task manager, click on the CPU column and it should show you what process is using up all your cpu power. You might just be able to kill that process and make it useable enough to let you regain control.

I believe that the Acer Care Center application, under Recovery Management, has a Create Factory Default Backup drive option and also on the Restore tab - Reset this PC to re-install the original windows. I haven't tried these myself but it might be worth a shot before taking it into a repair center. Especially if it doesn't have any data. I would be very careful about using this computer to enter passwords or use credit cards until I removed the cracked windows.

One possibility might be that your computer is running a crypto mining hack (hence high cpu useage) and that has caused your power block to burn out. But that is just a guess and could easily be completely wrong.