How do I optimize my battery and reduce wear in nitro 5 AN515-53?

Options
RussellFS
RussellFS Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited April 30 in Nitro Gaming

I got a new battery for my Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop, AN515-53. After I install it and replace the worn, old one, is there anything else I need to know? How do I optimize the thing? Do I plug it in and wait until it's fully charged? Also, how do I reduce wear? The battery is a AC14B8K, by the way.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,886 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Your battery is not "optimized" there is no such thing as optimizing or calibrating a battery, forget those terms. What you did is registering the battery capacity in BIOS and Windows so it can calculate the energy statistics correctly and shows the correct battery charge in the battery Meter on the task bar. From now on stop worrying about your battery, leave the adapter plugged in 24/7 as that is a weak power source and you may drain battery charge faster than the adapter can coop with so make sure the battery is around 100% charged at all times. Focus on Windows updates, make sure you have Optional updates enabled in Advanced "Check for Updates" if you are on Windows10 your version should be: 22H2 build 19045.4355 and if you are on Windows11 your version must be 23H2 22631.3527. And uninstall all 3rd-party programs and bloatware, only use Windows Edge Browser and Defender with all the security features enabled (have green tick marks).
    You did a good job 😀

Answers

• Puraw
    edited April 29
    Options

You can't reduce battery wear, whatever you read on the web about Li-Ion battery longevity is a myth. A new high-grade battery (>$50) bought from a reputable shop or directly from Acer will last 1,000 charge cycles or 5 years at the most. What you must do with a new battery (or after a new installation of Windows) is a full charge cycle for BIOS and MS ACPI battery protocol to register the full capacity of your battery. This entails completely shutting down (disable Hibernate, Fast Startup and reset the Power Plan in "Edit Power Plan"), plug in the adapter/charger close the lid and charge till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. Boot to Windows, verify that the battery is charged 100% on the Battery Meter taskbar and unplug the adapter, or USB-C charger. Work all day till the system shuts down on its own (don't touch the power button, don't suspend and do not turn off the laptop manually). There will be 4% charge left on the battery, no data will be lost. Close the lid again and plug in the power adapter or USB-C charger and charge till the amber battery LED turns blue plus an extra 10 minutes. That's it, only needs to be done once.

• RussellFS
    Options

Can you simplify the steps, please? I’m a bit confused. When I replace my battery, I plug my laptop in, wait until it’s fully charged, then wait until it’s out of battery, in which it’ll go into sleep mode, then plug it again until it’s fully charged. Is that correct?

• Puraw
    Options

It is not going in sleep mode, when the system shuts down on its own it goes to hibernate mode. Don't use the laptop during the charging procedure (don't boot, keep the lid closed), the rest is OK. The main thing is that you are fully shut down using the proper way by clicking on Shutdown in Start-Power icon on the task bar. Disable Hibernate and Fast Startup in "Change what closing the lid does" and in "Change settings currently unavailable." and reset the Power Plan to factory default in "Edit Power Plan". If any questions type @Puraw at the top of your reply so I get an alert.

• RussellFS
    Options

@Puraw

Okay, I switched the battery and now my laptop is charging. Now what do I do? Can you list it out in steps, please?

• RussellFS
    Options

@Puraw

I apologize for asking so many questions. I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

• RussellFS
    Options

@Puraw

My laptop is nearing a low battery. What do I do next?

• Puraw
    Options

Nothing, igmore all low battery alerts, keep on working till the system shuts down automatically, black screen and then close the lid and plug in the power adapter.

• RussellFS
    Options

@Puraw

A little update:

I had to “restart” so to speak. I thought it would be a good idea to start the optimization process late at night even though I had school in the morning. I use my laptop for gaming and school. So when it got late (i.e., past midnight) I gave up and turned my laptop off because I had to sleep. I was around 37 percent when I turned my laptop off. I'm starting again now. I drained the battery by putting a needle in the small hole in the back of my PC and now I'm back to square one. 

• Puraw
    Options

You are not supposed to interrupt the charge cycle process and why are you doing a "reset with the pinhole"? The battery charging should not take more than 1 hour. This routine is not Optimization, nor Calibration but registering a full charge cycle. If it takes more than 1 hour to fast charge you need a new adapter, what power adapter are you using?

• RussellFS
    Options

@Puraw

Look, I'm sorry. Again, I had no choice. It was stupid to try and optimize my battery so late at night. What's done is done, and I'm starting again. My AC adapter is an ADP190710. I had to get a new one after my original one died on me a few months back.

• RussellFS
    Options

@Puraw

I forgot to ask, should I turn off Sleep Mode while I'm at it?

• RussellFS
    edited April 30
    Options

@Puraw

Alright, it’s done. 

I used my laptop until it shut down by itself and I made sure to turn off all the things you told me. Now I’m waiting until my laptop turns blue again. I did have to close my laptop once earlier when I went back home, but that's it. You didn't tell me if I could close or turn off my laptop or if I had to do this in one go.

• Puraw
    Options

You have to try to do this procedure in one-go, but just wait now till the amber battery LED turns blue and then open the laptop even if it takes all day. You should have bought a more modern power adapter, capable of fast charging, the one you have is 10-year-old technology.

• RussellFS
    Options

@Puraw

All right, it's done. 

I did it all in one go, and my laptop is charging. So how do I know my battery is optimized? 

• Puraw
    Answer ✓
    Options

Your battery is not "optimized" there is no such thing as optimizing or calibrating a battery, forget those terms. What you did is registering the battery capacity in BIOS and Windows so it can calculate the energy statistics correctly and shows the correct battery charge in the battery Meter on the task bar. From now on stop worrying about your battery, leave the adapter plugged in 24/7 as that is a weak power source and you may drain battery charge faster than the adapter can coop with so make sure the battery is around 100% charged at all times. Focus on Windows updates, make sure you have Optional updates enabled in Advanced "Check for Updates" if you are on Windows10 your version should be: 22H2 build 19045.4355 and if you are on Windows11 your version must be 23H2 22631.3527. And uninstall all 3rd-party programs and bloatware, only use Windows Edge Browser and Defender with all the security features enabled (have green tick marks).
    You did a good job 😀