whats broken? my screen is fine, but i think the hinge is broken

Options
hudahassan1985_
hudahassan1985_ Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 30 in Aspire Laptops

Hi, I'm not sure what exactly is broken, my screen is fine, but i think the hinge is broken, I shall be attaching an image to explain. where can I find the replacement for this?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,889 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, the left hinge assembly broke loose, (looks like an Aspire?) this can happen when the lid is always opened on the right side and the hinge is too tight, the flexing of the lid puts too much stress on the short hinge leg attached to the lid frame with small screws. Don't close the lid anymore as the screen may crack. An expensive repair job when done by Acer Services ($200+) as the lid, hinge assembly, frame, bezel and possibly the inside hinge attachment need to be replaced. Polycarbonate cannot be glued, and it will remain a weak spot whatever fix you try (I did with my old Aspire5 a515-54G) till the screen starts cracking too. If the laptop is getting older (>5 years?) you may want to opt for a new faster laptop, Acer has great deals like the Swift SFX14-51G, 2k 14" in a full metal body with strong steel hinges, 16GB DDR5-4800MHz RAM and i7 CPU. for $680.