Acer Predator PH517-51-72NU Random Black Screens

Options
Tiko853
Tiko853 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 29 in Predator Laptops

‎PH517-51-72NU

• Laptop randomly blackscreens during any tasks, where laptop display goes dark (not totally black/off, just black but still lit up), the laptop still functions normally, and i can still hear audio and interact with programs behind the black screen.
  • Only way to get it to go back on is to close and re-open the lid so the display powers on and off, this turns it back on but the screen will just go black again in a few minutes or hours.
  • Doesnt always do it, sometimes it will run indefinitely without black screening until I power it off and on again, then it will black screen intermittently until I power cycle it off and on again 3-5 times.
  • Does it on battery or AC
  • not specific task related, it will black screen after hours of intensive gaming, or within 30 seconds of startup and im still at the windows sign in page
  • Temps are fine, not heat related
  • It does not show up in windows events or error logs of any sort
  • external monitors work 100% of the time and never go black, if I have both displays on, the laptop one will go dark but the external continues functioning.
  • Ive tried hard power resetting, ive tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers, and wiping my drive and reinstalling windows.
  • It will also black screen if I disable my GPU and use my CPUs integrated graphics, and using windows default video drivers
  • I thought it might be a physical laptop display issue, but it just doesnt make any sense because without physically moving anything, simply powering the laptop on and lots of times can prevent this issue until I power it off again and let it sit or move it somewhere else, and then power it back on again. I also thought perhaps GPUs hardware problem but still no because it still does it with iGPU and does not do it with external monitor. I also thought software issue hence reinstalling windows and completely resetting laptop

Any help would be massively appreciated, Ive dealt with this issue for like 2 years now and its detrimental to work or gaming because if it blackscreens during video/audio calls or some games it will drop out.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited April 30
    Options

Do a Hard Reset of the laptop by taking the main battery out first, then disconnect the RTC/BIOS battery and afterwards shots the RTC/BIOS battery battery +&- pins with a metal screwdriver or object to reset CMOS and take the ram out, leave the laptop like that for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight and then reconnect everything except if you have 2x ram modules only connect one and alternate the ram to see if the ram is the cause of the Random Black Screens, as a hard reset also resets the EC chip which part of its functions could be frozen in a 5 years old laptop and could be causing the problems that you are having and a hard reset resets this chip. If the hard reset doesn't fix the problem, take your laptop to either Acer Tech Support and get Acxer to diagnose this problem or take your laptop to an experienced local technician who can fix your laptop. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍