Black screen on WinRE

Options
John024
John024 Member Posts: 4 New User

On a previous post I've been told how to toggle open WinRE, and it results in the laptop showing a black screen on where WinRE should be, this has happened before. And one time it suddenly showed the blue screen of WinRE (which means I can fix my problem) and so I resolved my previous problem by opening on safe mode; but the problem has come up again (which was when opening on boot, the loading screen loops itself and never goes past it) so I tried the same trick but when I did it WinRE is doing the black screen again and not showing up, is there anything I can do other than waiting for my laptop to choose if it wants to live a bit longer? I know I can try the USB recovery thing but I just want to know if there's any other way with the laptop itself.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,877 Trailblazer
    edited April 28
    Options

WinRE is located on the recovery volume, boot drive, if that volume is broken (bad drive) or corrupted (crash) WindowsRE may become unstable, have incomplete menus or BSOD. The best thing then is to use your USB Recovery Disk that you should make at least once a year or after a reset/clean install of Windows. The USB Recovery Disk has WindowsRE installed and apps to recover a backup image file; you should get an external backup drive to back up your entire boot drive each month after the Windows updates.

You can make this USB Recovery drive on another PC that has the same Windows version (like W11 23H2, never mind the build). Stick a 20GB USB 3.0 flash drive in that 2nd PC and type Recovery in Search, it will then ask if you want to make a Recovery drive, and click on Yes (see picture below). Takes 40 minutes on a slow system. Boot your laptop with F2 and the USB Recovery disk in the USB 3.0 port to BIOS and move the USB drive to the top of the Boot Devices list in the BIOS Boot screen, save changes on exit and reboot (without F2). You should get the complete blue Troubleshoot menu, I recommend you Reset this PC, if that fails you have to do a Clean install of Windows with a different USB installation flash drive.

• John024
    John024 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Is it possible that it'll just resolve on its own? It has happened last time, though the circumstances why it suddenly did; I have no idea.

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 282
    Options

Enter the Windows Recovery Environment (winRE) by repeatedly turning your device off and on: Hold the power button down for 15 seconds and then turn your computer on again. Repeat this three times. Allow your device to restart into Automatic Repair and select Advanced options to enter winRE