Upgrading Aspire xc-840 with CD, CPU, RAM

Options
JohnTN
JohnTN Member Posts: 1 New User

I just purchased an Aspire XC-840 model D20W1 with W11, 8 GB Ram, 526 SSD. I have an internal CD player from and older HP computer. Can it be installed internally with access where the blank piece of plastic is on the front of the case?

Also, I have an AMD Phenom II X4 B95 CPU in the older computer. Can that be used to replace the celeron CPU in the ACER which has the small fan on top?

And, will the computer accept more RAM than 8 GB?

John

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,014 Trailblazer
    edited April 27 Answer ✓
    Options

The Aspire XC-840-D20W1 model that you have is an Intel CPU Socket BGA1338 type mainboard which is fitted with either an Intel Celeron N4505 or an Intel Celeron N5105 or the highest spec Intel Pentium N6005 Socket BGA1338 CPU that you can upgrade your XC-840 to with the mainboard that you have.

The AMD Phenom II X4 B95 CPU that you have is a totally different socket CPU as its an AMD Socket AM3 type which will not fit into your mainboard. The best upgrade that you can do for your Aspire XC-840 is to upgrade the ram to 2x 8GB DDR4-3200MHz for a 16GB total memory (see ram list highlighted below) which is the max for this desktop and also upgrade the PCIe3x4 drive to the quickest M.2 SSD drive that you can fit to this desktop which are the following: which were tested by Tom's Hardware M.2 SSD Benchmark as the quickest in the capacities below:

• 1TB – WD Blue SN580 1TB
    • 2TB - Intel SSD 670p 2TB
    • 4TB - Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB

With the CD player from and older HP computer, you need to to look if the XC-840 oem DVD is the same size, as the below is the oem Acer fitted DVD fitted to the XC-840 desktop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

OEM Acer fitted DVD-RW Drives, this is the type of DVD=RW size that will fit into the XC-840 front slot.

To upgrade the XC-840 to 16GB @ 2x *GB DDR4-3200MHz use the below highlighted ram as its used by Acer:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,014 Trailblazer
    edited April 27 Answer ✓
    Options

The Aspire XC-840-D20W1 model that you have is an Intel CPU Socket BGA1338 type mainboard which is fitted with either an Intel Celeron N4505 or an Intel Celeron N5105 or the highest spec Intel Pentium N6005 Socket BGA1338 CPU that you can upgrade your XC-840 to with the mainboard that you have.

The AMD Phenom II X4 B95 CPU that you have is a totally different socket CPU as its an AMD Socket AM3 type which will not fit into your mainboard. The best upgrade that you can do for your Aspire XC-840 is to upgrade the ram to 2x 8GB DDR4-3200MHz for a 16GB total memory (see ram list highlighted below) which is the max for this desktop and also upgrade the PCIe3x4 drive to the quickest M.2 SSD drive that you can fit to this desktop which are the following: which were tested by Tom's Hardware M.2 SSD Benchmark as the quickest in the capacities below:

• 1TB – WD Blue SN580 1TB
    • 2TB - Intel SSD 670p 2TB
    • 4TB - Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB

With the CD player from and older HP computer, you need to to look if the XC-840 oem DVD is the same size, as the below is the oem Acer fitted DVD fitted to the XC-840 desktop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

OEM Acer fitted DVD-RW Drives, this is the type of DVD=RW size that will fit into the XC-840 front slot.

To upgrade the XC-840 to 16GB @ 2x *GB DDR4-3200MHz use the below highlighted ram as its used by Acer:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍