Aspire 5 Repeated and Abrupt USB Audio Problems - So quiet an ant would struggle to hear it

Options
mdmp
mdmp Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 25 in Aspire Laptops

Hello, I have an extremely frustrating audio problem that has happened to me multiple times. At no point have I found a solution that will work in multiple instances.

I use an Acer Aspire 5 laptop with the Windows 11 OS it automatically updated from after coming from Windows 10. I've had this laptop for around 4 years, albeit I received it pre-owned with a repairman's label sticker on the interior of the case dating back to 2019. As such, I'm unsure whether this is an Acer hardware, Acer software, or Windows 11 software problem.

I have auto-updating purposely disabled, and my laptop will only update the OS with my direct consent.

I keep a wireless Logitech mouse in the right USB port, and have two normally unoccupied USB ports on the left side. The one closer to the user appears to be a USB port not designed to transmit sound, and the one further from the user is literally labelled "USB" with an indicator of a charging battery, and generally transfers sound fine.

I use a JLAB microphone plugged into the further port, combined with Skullcandy Hesh ANC wired headphones to listen to my computer while allowing toggleable microphone functionality.

When in the closer port, the brown noise of my own house is much louder than computer audio, but when in the further port, 10% volume is a comfortable volume where I can hear everything clearly.

Every once in a while this stops working as expected. The closer port will suddenly default to speaker audio unless I manually switch it to my microphone, and the further port will make it so that brown noise is SIGNIFICANTLY louder than my computer audio, with 100% audio STILL being quieter than just using Bluetooth at a measly 2% volume.

This generally randomly happens after:
- Various software updates, but not every update. Very rare this causes it.
- Literally just turning the computer off while the microphone is still plugged in. This has happened a few times, and is presumably the most recent cause.
- Removing the fan and copper bar (?) assembly to clean dog hair and dust out of it. (Thermal paste desperately needs a replacement, albeit I don't think this is relevant.) I also did this recently given my fan is nearly constantly blowing at full speed and sounding like bees now, and suddenly my audio has ceased functioning properly.

I have no idea what's causing this, a driver update is implausible as 1. it stopped functioning literally directly after a reboot and 2. driver updates have not solved prior issues,

the sheer diversity of things that cause this problem is maddening, every forum about low audio is essentially, "you forgot to click z box," or, "you must be an **** who forgot to turn your volume up,"

which, given there have been no settings changes and it worked completely fine before I turned my laptop off, is entirely useless information,

and no solution has successfully fixed it twice in a row, including one instance where it started spontaneously working correctly again with no explanation.

I would appreciate an explanation of why it's doing this, how I can prevent it if possible, and a way to consistently fix the problem without scouring forums for 6 hours.

Thank you,
A sleep deprived and frustrated non-tech-literate user

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 282
    Options

Uninstall the Realtek driver in Device Manager. Don't try to re-install anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn it back on and let Windows re-detect and automatically re-install a fresh copy of the driver.

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 282
    Options

You can also try FX Sound from fxsound.com Get better sound. Boost volume, sound quality and bass. It is a Free open-source software to boost sound quality, volume, and bass. Including an equalizer, effects, and presets for customized audio.