Undocumented firmware update for N50-640

Options
Nizzo
Nizzo Member Posts: 2 New User

On the Drivers and Downloads page for N50-640 is a firmware update file named "TypeC PDFW_V003" (2024/03/20).

There's no information on what component it supposed to update, or which problems it may solve.

I suspect it has something to do with the USB-C Controller (according to the name of the exe-file inside the Zip-archive), but I would like to have some more information.

Does anyone have more information about this update, and has anyone eventually installed this update?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,599 Trailblazer
    Options

Do not update BIOS or other firmware for no other reason than noticing something "newer" on the Acer Support portals. If you have Winows11 23H2 fully updated and enabled in Check for Updates-Advanced Optional Updates you will be offered the latest drivers and firmware for your desktop before Acer Support publishes these: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" 😉

• Nizzo
    Nizzo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for taking the time, but unfortunately, you must have completely misunderstood my question. I didn't ask for advice about installing this update or not. (I am perfectly capable of deciding this myself).

To make this decision I requested more information about this particular update which you obviously were unable to assist with.

And regarding your proposal to install firmware updates via Windows Optional Updates - Good luck!
    (I wouldn't even suggest that to my worst enemy…)