Acer Aspire 3 Model N23H1how to connect an external monitor

Options
jsteil
jsteil Member Posts: 4 New User

I've tried two different docking stations with the docking station connect to the Aspire 3 USB c port, didn't work. Also tried connecting direct though the HDMI ports (Laptop to monitor) with no luck. Looking for a solution - thank you.

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,801 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jsteil

You can try reinstalling the Intel Display Driver/

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,986 Trailblazer
    edited April 21
    Options

Firstly, your Aspire 3 laptop and yes we know that Acer quotes your Aspire as the Model # N23H1 but this number is NOT its used model number, the user ID of your laptop is the Aspire 3 A315-xx-xxxx as that is what we use as its ID and its a more identifiable way of identifying your laptop, so it would be allot more informative if you would quote your Aspire 3 model as the A315-XX and NOT the Model N23H1 as this number means nothing.

From what I have discovered (don't know if its correct, as I have no idea what A315-XX number your laptop is?) the below is the user's manual of the Model # N23H1 Aspire 3 (from an Acer N23H1 link) that your Aspire 3 on its left side has the following ports that you can connect an external monitor to, and it should work with an external monitor connected to these ports:

#2 below is a USB Type-C port with DC-in: -

• That Connects to the provided USB Type C power adapter and to USB devices with a USB Type-C connector.
    • Supports DisplayPort™ over USB C™.

#3 is a HDMI port:-

• Supports high-definition digital video connections.

So, both the above USB-C port and the HDMI port will output an image to an external monitor if connected to these ports, I don't know what docking station you are using but you might have the wrong docking station and/or you are connecting the monitor wrongly to the USB-C port or to the HDMI port with the wrong cables. This is all the information I can give you for now, as the sooner we know the exact A315-xx laptop you have the more precise information we can give you. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• jsteil
    Options

The model # is A314-23P-R3QA with an MFG date of 2023/02/08. The left view you show above matches my Aspire 3 model. I've tried multiple (3) different HDMI cables so I don't think it's the cable. Also I have another laptop (an HP model 15t-dy100) which I'm able to connect my external monitor through the HDMI cable directly to the laptop and it works fine; However I'm unable to get the HP laptop to work through either of the two docking stations as well.

Here's the specs on the most recent docking station I purchased which is an Aspire brand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CF224WX9?ref=product_details&th=1

Bought this because after I did more research on the original docking station I had purchased, the specs indicate it's geared for Mac systems. Other research I've gathered on the issue is leading me down the path of the laptop hardware not having the correct drivers/software updates installed but so far nothing has worked.

Any other thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@jsteil

When you connect the monitor to the laptop, do you hear any notification sound or anything?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • jsteil
    Options

I do not hear any type of audible sound when connecting the devices.

• StevenGen
    edited April 22
    Options

The below specs are from your Aspire A314-23P laptops Acer service guide and its USB-C should output an image as should its HDMI 2.1 version port. Connect the Acer USB C Hub with a HDMI 2.1 cable only with a HDMI cable at each end to the Hubs HDMI end port, as that should work perfectly to output an image and audio to your 1x external monitor, as there could be a problem with the DP port capabilities of the USB-C port with this laptops. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• AnhEZ28
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jsteil

You can try reinstalling the Intel Display Driver/

• jsteil
    Options

😁Hey StevenGen, the configuration you show above in (Fig 1.3 left view) does not match my model A314-23P-R3QA. The left panel on my unit has the DC In port and two USB ports. The USB C and the HDMI (Items 2 and 3 above in Fig . 1.3) are on the right side of my unit.

Hey AnhEZ28, I checked the display driver and when I select to "update the drivers" the system is stating the most current drivers are installed. BTW my display adapter is a AMD Radeon ™ Graphics model. Something else I noticed, there was A yellow caution sign with an "!" point on the graphics icon and under the properties, I select the resources tab, Resources setting: "This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem". So despite the warning I got, I went ahead and uninstalled the driver, rebooted the PC and got RadeonSoftware.exe Application Error window that popped up stating "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application". I then went back to check the AMD adapter properties status and see the caution sign was gone. So I reconnected the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the laptop and my external display WORKS! I then connected the HDMI cable to the port on the Aspire docking station and my external display WORKS! I rebooted the laptop and continue to get the app. error noted above however my external monitor is working so I'll live with clearing the app. error on reboots.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated!

Jeff Steil

• StevenGen
    Options

The caption above is from the Acer service guide for the A314-23P as Acer does not have a specific A314-23P-R3QA service guide, so your model must be different, which is unusual as Acer does not change the overall design of a laptop model and its ports.