Acer Aspire S13 - strange screen behaviour.screen just stopped functioning, No ACER logo at boot

Options
irbis
irbis Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 20 in Aspire Laptops

So this is something really weird.

This old Acer Aspire netbook originally came with windows 10 and one day the screen just stopped functioning, No ACER logo at boot, no light just 100% dark. If I were to connect the external screen I could see everything (ACER logo, UEFI etc) but the built-in screen was completely broken. My wife needed a laptop with more RAM anyway (she is doing video editing) so I stuffed this ACER into the bed drawer, bought my wife a brand new laptop and forgot about it for 5 years.

Recently I wanted to do a project in Arch linux and figured rather than using a VM I would use this old Aspire (with external screen). Imagine my surprise when after installing Arch+KDE internal screen sprung back to life! Still no ACER logo, no systemd-init messages the first thing I see on the screen is the sddm greeter. I decided to experiment further and found out some really weird stuff.

If my plug and my live USB key with Arch and reboot, the internal screen works (I can see the systemd-init and shell prompt). If I shutdown and restart with the same usb plugged in the screen stays black and I have to use external screen to see whats happening.

To access UEFI I always have to use external screen, even if try to do it after reboot.

I changed the CMOS R2032 but that made no difference in behavior.

After my project was completed I attempted to re-install windows just to check but after installing windows the screen stayed black throughout same as it was 5 years ago. I went back to Arch.

So I can explain the difference in behavior between windows and linux by different drivers, but what I cannot explain is why I cannot see ACER logo/init/UEFI etc - basic output that doesn't require graphical drivers

So.. anyone has any ideas?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]