Acer Aspire 5 A515-45-R1BF does not work without charger.

Options
JB1127
JB1127 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hello, A few days ago my laptop started requiring the charger to work. The laptop will not turn on if it is not plugged in and will turn off abruptly if it is unplugged. The battery percentage has not gone down from 100, it is charging normally, but refuses to work without it.

I have pasted in a battery report.

I have tried the following steps:

1. Uninstalling battery drivers
  2. Using the battery pin
  3. Unplugging battery from computer for an hour and pressing power button for a minute
  4. Resetting BIOS
  5. Unplugging CMOS battery for more than 5 minutes
  6. Fixing power settings in windows
  7. Turning off all fast boot settings
  8. Looking for a safety switch, could not find one
  9. Battery calibration (will not go below 100% for some reason)
  10. Messing with settings in the Acer software

This was working fine on April 15th, but the issue started the next day randomly.

There was an intelliGo audio update installed on that day, but I haven't tried uninstalling it

Any help is much appreciated!

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,469 Trailblazer
    Options

Restore your system to April 14 or before, type Restore in the Search bar and click on "Create a Restore Point", at the top left click on "System Restore" and select a date before April 14, 2024. Open Device Manager and uninstall these two battery drivers:

Open "Edit Power Plan" and reset the power plan to factory defaults, disable hibernate and Fast Startup in "Change what closing the lid does".and "Change settings currently unavailable". Uninstall all Acer apps like AcerSense, AC Quick Access and Acer Care Center. Reboot to BIOS with F2 and reset with F9 in BIOS, save changes on exit BIOS. You have to perform a full charge cycle for BIOS and MS ACPI drivers to register the capacity of your battery, this is not called calibration that has something to do with the old Ni-Cad batteries that supposedly suffer from "Memory effect" (a completely debunked theory), Li-Ion don't need "calibrating" as they have a Smart chip that maintains the charging but each time you install a new battery or Windows OS you need to fully charge, discharge to 5% (system turns off automatically) and charge again to 100%. Charge till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait 10 minutes, boot to Windows and verify the Battery Meter on the taskbar reads 100%, unplug the adapter and work all day till the system shuts down, close the lid and plug-in the adapter, charge again without opening the lid till the LED turns blue and wait 10 minutes. That's it.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Options

Also try this as there is nothing wrong with your battery by your battery report, as its brand new. The thing that has happened to your A515-45 laptop is that the battery solder fuse on the battery mainboard is broken and its locked your battery up, that is why its not charging. You need to take your laptop to a technician that has the tools to diagnose and unlock your battery and to diagnose why the laptop has tripped that battery fuse, which usually comes from a faulty charging rail of your laptop that needs repairing. Good luck

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• JB1127
    Options

Thank you so much for the help. I don't have any technicians near me for hours so I will probably end up having to buy a new laptop. This sucks since it is only 2 years old.

• Puraw
    Options

Try to restore the system to an earlier date, 5 minutes job 😉

• JB1127
    Options

Just checked, there is only a recovery date for April 16th which is after the issue started.

All of the rest of these methods I have already tried. Do you have any other suggestions?

Are you sure the solder joint is the issue though? @StevenGen

Thank you both for your help!

• Puraw
    Options

Reset this PC without losing your files in Troubleshoot. Just type Reset in Search and the system will reboot to the blue screens (30 minutes).

• JB1127
    Options

I forgot to list it but I tried this step on the first day this started occurring. Thanks

• JB1127
    Options

Also, I just tried to use the battery USB port which did not work (While laptop was off and unplugged). The laptop seems to not be getting any power at all even though the battery is perfectly fine.

• Puraw
    Options

Not sure what you mean by Battery USB port? This laptop does not have Thunderbolt and no AMD USB 4 port, no power delivery port.

• JB1127
    Options

sorry, I worded that weird. I am talking about the always on USB port on the side of the device. It charges things when the laptop is off. I used it before and it did work.

• JB1127
    Options

Should I try unplugging the laptop battery for 12 hours? I didn't try it this long before but I'm curious if I should. Thanks

• JB1127
    Options

is this being permanently pressed down? It’s bent so I’m not sure if this is normal