A515-57G. 'No bootable device' when upgrading M2 chip from 512Gb to 1Tb

Options
robinaccio
robinaccio Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited April 18 in Aspire Laptops

I have an Aspire A515-57G. I'm looking to replace the 512Gb M2 chip with a "Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1Tb".

I can see the drive from the BIOS on HDD0, but as soon as I attempt to boot (or install an OS) I'm shown no device.

Am I missing something basic….?

Thanks

Robin

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Your Aspire A515-57G laptop has provisions for two M.2 SSD drives, its boot drive JSSD1 is a PCIe4x4 M.2 type drive, and the secondary JSSD2 M.2 SSD drive is a PCIe3x4 type drive (see specs below).

The 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD drive that you have is a PCIe3x4 M.2 type drive and its the wrong M.2 drive for your boot M.2 drive Gen 4x4 specs, you need a PCIe4x4 M.2 SSD drive that the A515-57G boot M.2 SSD slot specs can utilize its full read/write speeds, fit a quick M.2 SSD drive like the Seagate Game Drive PS5 1TB PCIe4x4 that has a sequential speed of 6,447 MB/s as the 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus only runs at a sequential speed of 3,424 MB/s which is 88% slower.

Aspire A515-57G

The reason why you can't see the M.2 boot drive when you install windows OS is because you need to put this unzipped IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver version 19.2.0.1003 for the A515-57G laptop onto the Rufus bootable Win-11 installation USB, as when you reach the winnows installation section of "Where do you want to install Windows > Load driver" you need to load this IRST driver, as afterwards the M.2 SSD boot drive will be shown and you can clean install Win-11 Home, if you don't do this then the M.2 SSD boot drive will not be recognized and you can't continue with the Win-11 installation. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer
    edited April 18
    Options

Did you first clone or migrate the Windows boot operating system and personal files from old drive to the new Samsung drive through a USB port? If yes, how did you do it?

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Your Aspire A515-57G laptop has provisions for two M.2 SSD drives, its boot drive JSSD1 is a PCIe4x4 M.2 type drive, and the secondary JSSD2 M.2 SSD drive is a PCIe3x4 type drive (see specs below).

The 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD drive that you have is a PCIe3x4 M.2 type drive and its the wrong M.2 drive for your boot M.2 drive Gen 4x4 specs, you need a PCIe4x4 M.2 SSD drive that the A515-57G boot M.2 SSD slot specs can utilize its full read/write speeds, fit a quick M.2 SSD drive like the Seagate Game Drive PS5 1TB PCIe4x4 that has a sequential speed of 6,447 MB/s as the 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus only runs at a sequential speed of 3,424 MB/s which is 88% slower.

Aspire A515-57G

The reason why you can't see the M.2 boot drive when you install windows OS is because you need to put this unzipped IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver version 19.2.0.1003 for the A515-57G laptop onto the Rufus bootable Win-11 installation USB, as when you reach the winnows installation section of "Where do you want to install Windows > Load driver" you need to load this IRST driver, as afterwards the M.2 SSD boot drive will be shown and you can clean install Win-11 Home, if you don't do this then the M.2 SSD boot drive will not be recognized and you can't continue with the Win-11 installation. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,824 Pathfinder
    Options

@robinaccio

Make sure that you enabled the F12 boot menu to boot to the Windows installation media.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • robinaccio
    robinaccio Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Hi all

Thanks for the input on this. My experience with M2 technology is very limited.

@StevenGen - I was looking for a driver (evidently in the wrong place…). I'll try the IRST Driver and install a fresh copy of Windows.

I had previously used AOMEI software to clone the old drive - I'll just have to go about this a different way .

Robin