Random HDMI signal problem in Acer SFG14-41 14" laptop

Options
HydroVISTA
HydroVISTA Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 16 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi to all

I have a recently purchased Acer SFG14-41 14" laptop with integrated graphics. I am experiencing occasionally interruption what appears to be an HDMI signal problems. I am using extended monitor for my work and what is apparent is the grainy picture which is very visible on instagram or some other website which has a tilled images. But major problem is HDMI signal itself. Randomly the screen on extended monitor is flickering sometimes, and whole screen becomes snowy. The finishing of HDMI port seems not that great, when plugging HDMI cable there is little bit resistance and you need extra force to push to fit in place. Even slightly touching the HDMI cable produces disturbance in screen or screen goes black. While the image and signal not that good on monitor, still somewhat stable, but when connecting laptop to any TV, the screen on the TV is all the time unstable, flickering or black. When I went first time to the vendor where I bought it, the technicians checked it on their monitor it appears to work, so they are saying to try to use original HDMI cable, but that may solve problem with monitor on my default work space, but I can't cary that cable on varios meetings, conference rooms, and other facilities where the equipment is already set. Even on the TV in my office conference room which I used so many times with previous laptop, the image is always unstable. So I can't say there is problem in that HDMI cable. I just need to plug in my laptop anywhere I go, it shall work as it was always with my previous non Acer laptops.

Any advice is this problem with HDMI port in that laptop series?

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Typically symptoms like that are caused by issues with the HDMI cable, as the technicians suggested. Are you sure it's getting fully seated in the connector? You can also give a USB-C to HDMI adapter a try, since your USB-C supports DP Alt Mode.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Typically symptoms like that are caused by issues with the HDMI cable, as the technicians suggested. Are you sure it's getting fully seated in the connector? You can also give a USB-C to HDMI adapter a try, since your USB-C supports DP Alt Mode.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HydroVISTA

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for reply billsey!

I tried HDMI to USB-C and it works well. I went also in customer care center, and they tried 2 different HDMI cables which worked well. I bought new HDMI cable that I tried on spot, and now I will use this cable for my personal. You are right, it is an issue of HDMI cable but in some way the issue of HDMI port on my laptop. It seems HDMI port is sensitive for an old HDMI cables and it doesnt transmit signal properly. So my solution is to use the cable I bought, and when I need to use my laptop in other places with old HDMI cables, then I have got HDMI to USB-C connector.

• HydroVISTA

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for reply!

I tried HDMI to USB-C and it works well. I went also in customer care center, and they tried 2 different HDMI cables which worked well. I bought new HDMI cable that I tried on spot, and now I will use this cable for my personal. You are right, it is an issue of HDMI cable but in some way the issue of HDMI port on my laptop. It seems HDMI port is sensitive for an old HDMI cables and it doesnt transmit signal properly. So my solution is to use the cable I bought, and when I need to use my laptop in other places with old HDMI cables, then I have got HDMI to USB-C connector.

• billsey
    Options

Great to hear you got it sorted. The newer HDMI spec require cables with less inductance noise, even when using the older resolutions and refresh rates.