Acer Predator PT515-51 Shutting Down when booting OS

Options
TheMiataFanatic
TheMiataFanatic Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey everyone,

I've been having a problem with my Acer Predator Triton 500 laptop (i7-9750H, RTX 2060) where it's stable in the BIOS screen, but when it's loading into Windows, as soon as the loading animation (the dots going in a circle appear), the laptop instantly crashes and restarts. I've run memtest on a known working replacement 4GB stick of SODIMM 2666MHz and it's passed the memtest. I've replaced the CMOS battery as well with a new one from Amazon, as the original battery was at .475V where it should be 3V.

I've attempted flashing the BIOS from a USB, but it never really seems to attempt to flash the ROM (USB LED not on, boots to non-bootable device screen). I'm using the G113.fd file, so I'm not sure if it's the right file I should have on the USB, and I'm not sure if I should have any other files on the USB simultaneously.

I'd love to try flashing the vBIOS, but it seems like my laptop only supports UEFI, so it can't boot into DOS to run NVFlash.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried seemingly everything and nothing's working out.

Thanks!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,006 Trailblazer
    edited April 19
    Options

Try to first do a Hard Reset as your laptop might have a frozen EC chip that is interfering with the boot process by taking the main battery out, disconnect the RTC/BIOS battery and shorts its +&- pins at the mainboard plug and take the ram out, leave the laptop like that for at least 1 hour (overnight is preferable) and then reconnect all components and then reboot and see if the laptop Win-10 OS boots past the loading animation (the dots going in a circle appear).

If not, try the Your Windows 10 Startup Repair, for this you need to access the Troubleshoot menu to get to the Startup repair, try these methods:

1. F11 Key Method:
      • Turn on your PC and repeatedly tap the F11 key right away.
      • If your system boots quickly, you might need to make a few attempts.
      • If F11 doesn’t work, try F8 or Shift+F8 as alternatives.
    2. Installation Media:
      • Obtain Windows 10 installation media (usually a bootable USB drive).
      • Connect the USB to your system and set it to boot from the USB device.
      • The installation media provides options to either install Windows 10 or fix problems with the current installation.
    3. Force Shut Down Method:
      • Turn on your system and force shut it down by holding down the power button before it reaches the desktop.
      • Repeat this process 3-5 times, and eventually, you’ll access the Troubleshoot menu.
      • This method should not harm your files or have any side effects.

Note: The PT515-51 laptops bios and firmware updates can only be updated through windows OS as you can't update the bios or firmware in dos, hence and why you haven't been successful in updating.

Remember, the Troubleshoot menu allows you to address various issues, including accessing the BIOS, repairing Windows 10, or booting in Safe Mode. If the Starup Repair doesn't work, then you need to do a Clean Install of the Win-10 OS as you have damage to your old OS startup files, if that doesn't work then your M.2 SSD PCIe3x4 boot drive is faulty and needs replacing. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• TheMiataFanatic
    TheMiataFanatic Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Alright.

Good news: I think I've found the issue

Bad news: I have no idea how to go about fixing this. Would replacing the capacitors and resistors fix it? I've done some continuity testing to make sure that those components are burned out and indeed they are open-circuited.

Board-level repair advice would be appreciated.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,006 Trailblazer
    Options

I strongly suggest and recommend that you don't do this repair yourself, take your mainboard to an experienced technician that does this sort of repairs and has all the appropriate micro soldering tools and a microscope, as if you don't your will wreck the mainboard traces and cause further damage to components with unsuitable soldering tools, and you will need a new mainboard for your PT515-51 laptop that costs in the vicinity of USD $1700.00. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍