Return Shipping For Monitor (model R240HY bidx) under warranty

Options
Temptedtigress
Temptedtigress Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 16 in Monitors

Experiencing some intermittent black screen issues with my Acer Monitor (purchased in November 2023, so just over 5 months ago). Based on customer reviews I isolated the issue to the monitor itself (not my PC or other monitors). Chatted with customer service and they determined I qualified for warranty repair and I was told I'd receive an email with instructions on how to package and ship it [Content Removed].

Received the email - but no shipping label or anything? Drop off isn't an option - the repair center I was assigned to is clear across the country from where I live nearly 2000 miles away. If I have to pay for shipping myself then the cost really isn't worth it - especially if shipping were to run $30+. The monitor itself was $100 when I bought it, so the math really speaks for itself. I am a lifelong Acer customer and do own other Acer products besides this one (desktop PC, laptops, monitor), but based on this experience really might have to rethink that now.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Answer âś“
    Options

> >things like this shouldn't happen > >

Agreed. But lemons do happen. That's why I always read the Amazon one-star reviews to see what I'd be up against if I lucked out and indeed got one of those apparently rare lemons. Most folks seemed quite happy with the performance at that bargain price point with an average 4.6 star rating. For a $100 with free shipping and a 4.6 star rating, I prolly would've taken a chance at getting a good one too. Sorry that you apparently got a lemon.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

Thanks for your thoughts on in-warranty shipping policy. Sounds like the LCD's ribbon cable needs to be re-seated on the monitor's mainboard a few times to help clean the contacts. If it was mine, I'd probably remove the back cover, and try to fix it myself.

Jack E/NJ

• Temptedtigress

Tinkerer

edited April 16
    Options

Thanks for your response - looks like the monitor (model R240HY bidx) made the final choice for me. Tried to play a game, and after a few minutes it went black again - but unlike before, it did NOT return to the previous screen after a few seconds. Power button kept blinking blue, and a reboot prompted it to give me the green Acer letters (as this is/was my main display of 3 I have in my setup), but instead of proceeding normal, the screen went black again and blue power light kept blinking. Tried to use other display cables in my setup, which did NOT fix the problem and I was unable to continue using the monitor.

As it stands, given that the monitor is less than 6 months old, things like this shouldn't happen - and while I am all for DYI normally, I don't really want to mess with something clearly covered under warranty. However, since Acer doesn't seem to want to cover return shipping, I am likely going to opt for getting a replacement other than their product. Shame - like I said, I've always been quite happy with all the Acer products I own, but I am also not willing to pay nearly half of what it cost to buy the monitor new in return shipping.

[Content Removed]

• JackE
    Answer âś“
    Options

> >things like this shouldn't happen > >

Agreed. But lemons do happen. That's why I always read the Amazon one-star reviews to see what I'd be up against if I lucked out and indeed got one of those apparently rare lemons. Most folks seemed quite happy with the performance at that bargain price point with an average 4.6 star rating. For a $100 with free shipping and a 4.6 star rating, I prolly would've taken a chance at getting a good one too. Sorry that you apparently got a lemon.

Jack E/NJ

• Temptedtigress

Tinkerer

Options

Me too - I actually own another Acer Monitor (KA240H), have had that one for quite a few years and never a problem. Nor has there ever been any issue with other Acer products (many laptops and a few desktops over the years) - until now. And I am usually pretty good about checking reviews too - not just the one-star reviews on Amazon, but also the most recent ones. Didn't see anything that would've raised red flags enough for me not to buy this one - though they don't tell you much about customer service from manufacturers. That said, I did manage to get a hold of Acer Customer Service via chat today - the same person that took my original complaint, and I was told I'd receive a shipping label by tomorrow probably. Now I just need to trust they'll actually fix what is/was wrong (which is a gamble if Google results are anything to go by) - but at least it won't cost me more than perhaps having to buy a new monitor after all.

• JackE
    Options

> >I did manage to get a hold of Acer Customer Service via chat today - the same person that took my original complaint,> I was told I'd receive a shipping label by tomorrow probably. >Now I just need to trust they'll actually fix what is/was wrong> >

You seem very trusting. I'd also need to trust that I'd probably get a shipping label by tomorrow. 🙂 Good luck.

Jack E/NJ