How turn Off SWG1 (Battery Power Off Switch)?

Options
GSSe
GSSe Member Posts: 8 New User

Is it possible to turn off the SWG1 button on the motherboard?

I'm tired of trying new methods to press this button. I've used electrical tape, foam, and springs, and while the problem is temporarily solved, it reappears because the system is extremely fragile and depresses easily. It seems like many people are experiencing this issue.

Does anyone know how to disable this system?"

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options

Tape a spacer to inside of the bottom cover, not the switch itself. Use a piece of cardboard or credit card plastic under the tape, not foam or spring. The bottom cover itself deforms and springs or cushions like foam enough to do the job of keeping the switch depressed. However, if the switch contacts are corroding or dirty, it may have to be replaced or removed and a solder jumper installed. Sometimes dirty contacts can be cleaned by simply quickly flicking (depressing &releasing) the switch dozens of times.

Jack E/NJ

• GSSe
    Options

yep, i used solid surfaces to press and also tried a lot of things,and always needing more press to turn on the laptop and now looks like the button crashed or i lost my motherboard, because I’m pressing the button and trying to power on and the laptop turn on but after 1/2 seconds turn off and after this still trying to turn on.
    same problem as before with the button undepressed… I’ll try solder and pray to be that the problem.

Thanks a lot to answer me!

And if you have new tips or advices please send me.

• JackE
    Options

> >I’ll try solder and pray to be that the problem.> >

Probably best option. It's a cheap switch with cheap points. Only there because some folks forget to first disconnect the battery pack before poking around inside the case. Best if you can somehow bypass it without actually removing it.

Jack E/NJ

• GSSe
    Options

the problem now i’m living in small city and no one wants to help me soldering :/

If I buy correct tools could i replace it? Is it too much hard to fix?

I found one guy that bought notebook from Índia and the button was sent solder… i resquested to send me a image to see how was solder.

• JackE
    Options

If you don't have micro pencil-tip soldering tool experience, it's very risky even with the correct tools. You may have to travel to a bigger city with a TV or electronics repair shop to de-solder the switch and solder a jumper across its two contacts on the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ