Unlock SSD and restore software in Swift 5 (SF514-55T laptop)

Options
nestubberud
nestubberud Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 10 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi, my Swift 5 (SF514-55T laptop has been to the workshop. Reason for that was the SSD got locked up, with no password registered.

The technician came back to me with the following comment:

"Unlock SSD and restore software"

I wonder if I could get an explanation of what kind of software that needed to be restored? This is to make sure this will not happend again by my mistake.

Thx

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi @nestubberud,

We are sorry to inform you that Unlocking SSD,HDD or BIOS are not discussed here. I would suggest you to contact Acer support to assist you unlocking the SSD password.

Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,797 Pathfinder
    Options

@nestubberud

Generally, the SSD does not get locked if you do not put any HDD password on it.
    If you do, double-check again and give techincian the password.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Options

There is no way that your SSD drive would lock automatically with a password, as it takes either BitLocker, which is an in-built disk encryption tool available in Windows or a Third-Party Software that you intalled and set a password to or a bios password that you encrypted a password onto an SSD drive.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• nestubberud

Tinkerer

Options

If you read my message, I have already had my PC back from the workshop after a locked SSD.

I can not understand why a discussion like a locked SSD can't be discussed here. Would Acer prefer not to talk about this.

What I would like to now is why my harddisk got locked up with a password I never entered.

• nestubberud

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, I thought so too. That there is no way the SSD would get locked up with no password entered. But it happened. I always remember my passwords, specially those involving BIOS.

Bitlocker was not involved. Master password for BIOS was enabled and secure boot disabled (for Linux install). USB attached for Linux install.

My guess is that the SSD got corrupted and that the harddisk got locked up in the prosess.

I don't know.....

The laptop is back from repair and I'm stuck with Windows, for now.

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options

You may contact Acer support and report this to them. Possibly they can help you..

Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

The software they restored was the Windows OS with Acer's standard build of utilities and apps.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nestubberud

Tinkerer

Options

OK, thx.

The PC now has a clean Win11, installed from USB. Bitlocker is disabled and unwanted bloatware is gone.

Would Win10 be a better option for this machine?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

Windows 10 and Windows 11 are both supported, but support for W10 is going away soon, so I'd stick with W11.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.