Webcam does not work - drivers updated? Swift SF14-71T

Options
Sleepycz
Sleepycz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

So, some time ago, webcam was crashing everytime I started video call via MS Team. So I updated webcam drivers, since that webcam cannot be found. I tried everything - almost and still not having the cam. Very glad for tips.

My troubleshooting:

• I did clean installation of Win11 - camera not found.
  • I installed both versions of drivers from Acer Support page - camera not found.
  • I used Avast Driver Update to make sure I have everything newest. - Nope.
  • I tried enforce default Windows 11 WebCam driver from Windows, which should work almost for all webcams - not supported.

At this point I am loosing all hope, I tried almost probably everything and the problem persists.

Anyone? Pleaseeeee.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,875 Trailblazer
    edited April 9
    Options

Do not use Avast and uninstall all 3rd-party browsers, AV programs, bloatware and trial programs that were pre-installed. There are 2 Intel Camera driver versions: did you try the older 63.22000.3.9630 version? Uninstall the Camera driver in Device Manager and devices with any yellow exclamation triangles you see (also greyed out Unknown Devices). Just reboot and let Windows install the best driver. You may have corruption/duplicates in the Windows driver repository by using 3rd-party installers. Go online and paste this in the Command Prompt opened as administrator: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and after completion this: SFC /scannow till you see "…did not find any integrity violations".

• Sleepycz

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, thanks for support.

So currently I have installed driver: 63.22000.3.9630 . Even if I uninstall device, and force to try remove the driver from the device, this driver always come back. I think this one which was there since ever. So this Avast updater did not affected that, just updated to the newer version, which did not worked either. PS: All bloatware gone. This was the step of desperation and did not helped either.

Then I run the both of your commands, the Windows seems fine. No integrity violations. Camera still returns the same error - No camera attached.

So after some fiddling I moved to 63.22000.3.9906, the camera says the device works properly, but camera still not attached.

Long time ago, I installed https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html which updates the Intel part of the laptop and it's possible that this one broke the drivers. However that does not make sense, as the drivers which are recommended on Acer website are the ones installed.

Staying hopeless, thanks for help.

• Sleepycz

Tinkerer

Options
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options

I would suggest to try a System refresh and see..

Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

You may have another app that is using the camera. Only one can access it at a time. Sometimes the issue isn't an app you chose to install, but a piece of malware. Your Device Manager image shows that the camera is installed and is working…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sleepycz

Tinkerer

Options

Good tip, however the malware it won't be. Pretty sure. I guess I will have to send it to service, pretty no idea.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Try Press Start > Settings > Privacy & security > Camera to see what has access to the camera. Look in the history to see what's been using it. Sending it back for repair is only likely to have it returned with 'can't find the problem'.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sleepycz

Tinkerer

Options

Nope, nothing suspicious here. All standard apps has the access. What is interesting, it does not matter if I allow the "camera app" with access or not, as it simply cannot find the camera.

as there is no camera actually, even tho the drivers are up and running -

• Rudy21
    Options

Hi @Sleepycz,

Before sending it for service, i would suggest to try a system refresh and check, if it does help solve the problem, you can actually save shipping and packing charges.

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 282
    Options

Try this- Turn off the device, disconnect from the power & remove the battery, long press the power button (30 seconds) then reconnect everything, turn on & see if the camera is now working.

• Sleepycz

Tinkerer

Options

Yeah, I already did the system refresh from the Windows. Not sure if the Acer refresh is somehow different, the main point of problem is that I did not "removed the files" entirely as I wanted to just reinstall Windows (and drivers, right?) so should be enough.

Maybe I will try the other refresh as well.

Regarding the Axxo comment, thanks that's a good idea, not sure what is resetting exactly, however will give it a try (if I find a proper screw driver).

• Rudy21
    Options

sad to hear, if the device has a sticker states do not remove this or warranty will be void.. then i would suggest not to tamper it..

rather send it to acer, they should be able to provide warranty support.