Super slow USB 4 speeds Acer Swift GO 14 SFG14-63

Options
Ty_B
Ty_B Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 9 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi all,

I've Googled and found no answers to why I'm getting slow speeds on my USB 4 ports.

I have a Ugreen NVNME USB 4 external SSD enclosure. On My Lenovo Legion, it works fine at full speeds. How ever when plugged in to the Swift GO it report 2 days to copy 10GB.

I receive the following errors in Windows event viewer:

System: UASPStor Event ID: 129 Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued.

System: disk Event ID: 53 The IO operation at logical block address 0x3ba0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\000000a0) was retried.

I have tried the following:

Updated BIOS
Windows up to date
Tried AMD drives and Acer website drivers. No difference.
Different port.
Hard drive consistency check, no fault with external drive.

Any ideas? Or is my Acer Swift faulty?

Thanks. Ty

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    Options

Thunderbolt 4 (TBT4) is a powerful connectivity standard that offers high-speed data transfer, video output, and power delivery capabilities. However, if you’re experiencing slow data transfer speeds with Thunderbolt 4, there are a few factors to consider:

1. Cable Quality: Ensure you’re using a high-quality Thunderbolt 4 cable. The cable’s construction and materials can significantly impact data transfer rates. Using a subpar cable may limit performance.
    2. Device Compatibility: Verify that both your host device (such as a laptop or desktop) and the peripheral device (like an external hard drive or docking station) support Thunderbolt 4. If either device doesn’t fully support Thunderbolt 4, it may affect data transfer speeds.
    3. USB-C vs. Thunderbolt 4: While Thunderbolt 4 ports use the same physical USB-C connector, they offer different capabilities. Regular USB-C ports vary in features, such as data bandwidth and power delivery. In contrast, Thunderbolt 4 ports have all optional features enabled, including a massive 40Gbps bandwidth, power delivery, and video output1.
    4. Data-Only Ports: Some USB-C ports are data-only, meaning they support USB data transfer but lack other features like video output or high-power charging. Thunderbolt 4 ports, on the other hand, excel in versatility and can handle various tasks simultaneously.
    5. Passthrough Charging Ports: These ports allow you to charge your laptop through a connected device (like a hub). While most passthrough charging ports focus solely on charging, some also support data transfer1.
    6. Intel’s Thunderbolt 4 Controller: Thunderbolt 4 relies on Intel’s controller, which integrates with the CPU. Ensure your system’s firmware and drivers are up to date to optimize Thunderbolt 4 performance.

Remember that Thunderbolt 4 is designed for speed, versatility, and convenience. If you’re still experiencing slow data transfer, consider checking the cable, device compatibility, and any potential bottlenecks in your setup. With the right configuration, Thunderbolt 4 can elevate your connectivity experience. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Ty_B
    Ty_B Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

As mentioned, the  NVME USB 4 drive works on my 2023 Lenovo Legion 7.

All drivers are up to date.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Also, USB4 and TBT4 are different things. TBT4 is an Intel spec, USB4 is AMD. The errors in Event Viewer looks like the system is seeing the drive as disconnected, then reconnected, during the file transfer. That either sounds like a physical problem, where the cable isn't fully seated into the port or the port doesn't stick out enough to fully seat, or a hardware issue with the port. Take a close look at the connection and if you see issues contact Acer support.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.