Acer Swift 5 Starting issues - Acer Spin 5 SP513-53N-73

Options
BruceyJ
BruceyJ Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 9 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi all, got a weird starting issue developing with my laptop.

After pressing the power button, laptop keyboard lights up, screen is blank, then switches off, then lights up again, then switches off, screen is still blank. this happens about 3 or 4 times before the screen comes on and eventually boots.

Memory has been tested - no issues

Power supply is fine, even charging over Usb C

Bios has been reset

Still happens with battery disconnected

Still happens if drive is disconnected, before showing there is no boot drive available.

I'm a bit stumped with this one, any one have any ideas or have had this happen to them before?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited April 9
    Options

Do a Hard Reset of the laptop, take the main battery out, disconnect the RTC/BIOS battery and short its +&- pins at the mainboard plug with a metal object, then take the ram out and leave the laptop like that for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight) then reconnect everything as it could be that the laptops EC and chipset chips are frozen, and this reset will unfreeze these chips. If this doesn't work, then your laptop has a faulty EC chip that needs to be checked out or a chipset that has a connecting pin lose and needs the chipset reseated with a heat gun. For all this you need to take your laptop to a technician who has the expertise to fix all these issues. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,870 Trailblazer
    edited April 9
    Options

2018 laptop upgraded to Windows11 23H2, did you update to 22631.3374 yet? You may not be shutting down completely. Uninstall Hibernate and fast Startup. Consider replacing the battery if haven't done that yet (5 years is the maximum battery lifespan). BTW Intel® Core™ i7-8565U does not have Thunderbolt make sure that you have this symbol next to the USB-C port before connecting a 45-Watt USB-C charger:

• BruceyJ
    BruceyJ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Okie, will try that, cheers.. Lappy is up to date on all updates, so suspecting something hardware related this time. Ram is unremovable on these. The lappy will charge over USB.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,961 Trailblazer
    Options

When you say blank screen, is that before or after the normal splash screen? Where during the power up process the issue appears can make a difference when trying to diagnose.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.