spin 1 sp111-33 takes 5-10 min to start up, after a short period and the screen goes black

Options
Shoplizard
Shoplizard Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 8 in Swift and Spin Series

My Acer spin 1 sp111-33 takes 5-10 min to start up on the first start of the day. It attempts to start after a short period and the screen goes black for some time, after that it stalls for a while and then will work ok.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,879 Trailblazer
    Options

I assume you have already upgraded to W11 23H2? Also update to version 22631.3374. Disable Hibernate and Fast Startup and paste these commands in the Command Prompt opened as administrator: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and press Enter, then run this SFC /scannow and press Enter. Rerun SFC till you see "…did not find any integrity violations". You only have 4GB soldered RAM that cannot be upgraded which is the bare limit for W11 so uninstall any programs you don't use and only use Edge browser and Defender, uninstall any 3rd-party browsers and AV programs. If nothing helps do the "Reset this PC" without losing your files option, type Reset in the Search bar.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Is the black screen before or after the splash screen? I'd expect after, but don't want to assume… If after then it's an issue with getting Windows started, and that long of a delay usually means Windows is trying to repair problem with the system drive. The Spin SP311-33 models came with an eMMC SSD or a HDD. The eMMC type drives not only have a short lifespan, but are soldered directly to the motherboard. They are a fair amount cheaper than a SATA or NVMe SSD though, which is what drives the low cost on those machines. If the eMMC drive is in the process of failing, you could get those symptoms, though usually when they go bad they just go bad without partially failing first. If you have a HDD then a failure could act like this as well. Either way, the solution will be to put a new SSD in the HDD slot and run off it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.