Iconia W700P BIOS 2.14 Download Link Broken

Options
twicesliced
twicesliced Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 5 in Tablets

Broken download link for BIOS version 2.14:

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_2.14_A_A.zip?acerid=635102615705270130&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=W700P&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_4

Source: https://www.acer.com/ca-en/support/product-support/W700P/downloads?suggest=ICONIA_W;0

Anyone have a copy?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited April 5
    Options

Yes, both of the Product Support pages for the Iconia W700P are broken and have a fault, wait until the page is reinstated as these faults do happen and they get fixed.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

The W700 and W700P models are from 2013 and came with Windows 8. They are no longer supported and Acer has removed most of their drivers and such from the support site. The BIOS updates links are still there temporarily, but the files are gone. Look for third party sites that have archived these old files. Why are you trying to update the BIOS at this late date?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    Options

Hey twicesliced try HelpDrivers as they have 37 files for Acer W700P including all the bios files, I've found their files legit and virus free and reliable, so try their site. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• twicesliced

Tinkerer

Options

Is there actually a precedent for that here? I just have to cross my fingers and wait?

Yes, all of that is clear from the link I posted. All of the third-party sites that appear to have the file in question are either behind paywalls or mislabeled; if you know of one that's verified please do share it here, otherwise your comment is redundant, presumptuous, and unhelpful. I'm trying to update the BIOS because I recently received a W700P and its keyboard case for free, it's still a really solid computer (runs Arch out-of-the-box), and it's on BIOS version 2.12

Unfortunately, the battery reports life left but won't charge. I could live with that, but the SSD seems to consistently become unbootable upon power-cycling - Windows, Linux, MBR, GPT, UEFI, Legacy, Secure Boot or not… So I disassembled the computer, checked connections and checked for visual damage; didn't find any obvious problems. Reassembled, same behaviour, figured a BIOS update couldn't hurt.

When attempting to install it says the 2.14 BIOS file listed there is not compatible with my device. I've been able to find multiple Acer BIOS files with the same name, and maybe they're not very creative with their naming conventions, or maybe someone's renamed something incorrectly over the years; regardless, I'm still stuck at 2.12 - thank you for trying though.

• twicesliced

Tinkerer

Options

For reference, the files linked there show an ID of V4DA2 (TravelMate P645?) whereas the Iconia W700P appears to be V1JV1

• StevenGen
    Options

I didn't go into these files and checked them out if they were legit Iconia W700P files and there are an offshoot and similarity to the TravelMate P645, glad that you know the proper files that you need. Good luck.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

The BIOS isn't likely to be the problem with your W700P. IIRC they used an eMMC drive soldered to the motherboard for storage. The eMMC drives wear out much faster than more traditional SSDs (fewer total write supported) though they are a lot cheaper to design in than newer SSD designs. Very likely your system has the drive in a failure mode…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • twicesliced

Tinkerer

Options

Your comment is again redundant, presumptuous, and unhelpful. You might ask if I ran any drive health tests, and then perhaps suggest doing so based on my answer.

For reference, the drive is mSATA.

• twicesliced

Tinkerer

Options

Your comment is again redundant, presumptuous, and unhelpful. You might have asked if I ran any drive health tests prior to disassembly, and then perhaps suggested doing so based on my answer.

For reference, the drive is mSATA.