chromebook CB311-11H intermittent wifi/internet issues

Options
shekster
shekster Member Posts: 1 New User

I have 2 CB311-11H chromebooks bought in 2023 (as well as 2 older CB311 chromebooks). All were connecting to wifi without issues until a few weeks ago when suddenly connections to the internet became intermitent on all 4 chromebooks. reconnecting wifi sometimes worked to restore internet, as well as powering off and back on, but not consistently. This is occuring on the home internet, on a cell phone hotspot and on school wifi. Other home devices like windows laptops, cell phones and tablets are not having any issues, only the chromebooks are affected. Everything points to the chromebooks as being the problem. We are using a usb dongle to ethernet but this is not convenient or permanent solution. I'm thinking that perhaps a recent chrome os update has started causing this issue. anyone have any insights or information as to why all the chromebooks are suddenly experiencing wifi/internet connectivity issues on different wifi networks while other devices are all working fine?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

Since the issue isn't related to the network itself, it has to be on the Chromebook. Since it showed up on several systems at the same time it almost has to be software rather than hardware. That leads me to believe you are right, something Google has pushed out is causing issues with the WiFi. Acer has released several different CB311 series models over the years. What are your older ones? The 11H models look like they are using the Qualcomm chips:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Options

@shekster

Did you try to use the chromebooks in a different wifi, friend's house, different hotspot and checked it.

We need to do a power wash on your chrome book.Restart the chromebook.
    On the login screen please don’t type the password.
    Hold the Ctrl key + shift key + alt key on keyboard and then press the letter r once
    It will show “Reset this pc”
    Click on power wash and continue..
    Please understand it will clear the local and user settings..
    Please complete the final setup..
    Connnect to wifi and type the wifi password
    Login to chromebook with your regular password
    It should work fine ..

If it is still not working..

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.    It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/496-reinstall-powerwash-the-chrome-os

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine by connecting to wireless.     If it is not connecting to a wifi at your home please try to connect to a wifi in a different place or try to go to a hot spot and try to connect to a different wifi and check. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★