Aspire 3 keyboard not working

elcora
elcora Member Posts: 2 New User

• As the title says, the keyboard of my laptop suddenly stopped working around two weeks ago, without the computer having been damaged in any way. It's 5 years old. Here are the details of the problem.
  • by connecting a USB keyboard, I have no problem writing
  • in BIOS the keys still don't work, but the ones from the USB keyboard do
  • tried to check the drivers, even delete and reinstall but nothing changes
  • I have a ubuntu partition, and the problem persists on both windows and ubuntu
  • the only key working is the power button

All this makes me think of a hardware problem, but when I went to a repair shop they checked and told me that it wasn't, that it's a software problem that many Acer users are currently facing and that I'll have to wait for them to fix it. What I want to ask is, is that true? Are any of you having this issue, should I just wait? Thank you in advance and for having read all this

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,598 Trailblazer

If the KB is also not working in BIOS it is definitely a HW issue, possible the KB cable connection, I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to check the KB and cable and if found bad replace both, this is not an expensive repair.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,327 Trailblazer

An Aspire 3 laptop that is 5 years old its keyboard can go faulty mainly with its connecting cable that connects to the mainboard that can either come lose or its pins are corroded. Open the laptop up and disconnect that keyboard cable and clean the mainboard keyboard plug and the keyboard cable pins and reconnect the cable and see if the keyboard works, if it doesn't then replace the keyboard as a replacement keyboard is not that expensive to buy and/or hard to replace. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• elcora
    elcora Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you very much, both of you! I'll do as you suggested