G3-571 shutting down randomly on battery power

Options
JM1979
JM1979 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter

This was happening after a "new" battery started sputtering after only 6 months. Bought an actually new one a couple months ago and, according to windows battery report, looks to be doing ok. Could the random shutdowns be caused by loose wiring? What might the usual suspects be? If I open it up, besides the battery cable itself, what should I be on the lookout for?

If not loose wiring, any other possibilities?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,508 Trailblazer
    Options

This model takes only a 48Wh battery that will last maximum 3 hours, so the battery report is OK, Check the battery voltage with this picture as that is the Acer battery that comes with the laptop,

Get exactly this battery and if your adapter is 5 years old, I would replace that one too.

• JM1979
    Options

You recommended this battery in a different post and I purchased it in January:

https://www.sourceitstore.com/product/kt-00405-005/

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,508 Trailblazer
    Options

What about the adapter, is the one on the picture what you are using? How does the adapter barrel pin fit in the DC slot, do you feel a click when the plug is fully inserted? When you wiggle the barrel plug during charging do you hear a beep or see the LEDs on the laptop side reacting?

• JM1979
    Options

Yes that is the exact model. I believe there is a click upon full insertion.

WIggling the plug while inserted does not cause a beep or a change in the LEDs.

• JM1979
    Options

Could there be any other causes? Could a bad/old adapter be able to charge the battery but also be the cause of random shut offs when the computer is not plugged in?

• JM1979
    Options

Might there be some other cause I'm overlooking? Computer works fine plugged in….but can't risk the random shutdowns when unplugged.