Is there a place to get the latest BIOS for these old notebook(Aspire One D270, and 722)

Options
swingbozo
swingbozo Member Posts: 6 New User

Is there a place to get the latest BIOS for these old notebooks? The SNID for one of these has been reused and comes up with a computer that's not this one. The serial numbers for these old notebooks has been purged and no longer functions.

It'd be nice to be able to find the BIOS files for these notebooks if SNID/Serial number doesn't work. Alternatively, you could actually NOT purge these old devices. Since the BIOS is ACER specific one would think one could find the old BIOS and driver files for every computer ever made by acer somewhere on acer.com. Be novel, that concept.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• alx181
    alx181 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

You can also find your BIOS's version number in the System Information window:

1. On Windows 7, 8, or 10, hit Windows+R
    2. Type "msinfo32" into the Run box
    3. Hit Enter
    4. The BIOS version number is displayed on the System Summary pane
    5. Look at the "BIOS Version/Date" field

You can also update your BIOS automatically using Device Manager in Windows:

1. Search for and open Device Manager
    2. Expand Firmware
    3. Double-click System Firmware
    4. Select the Driver tab
    5. Click Update Driver
    6. Click Search automatically for updated driver
    7. Wait for the update to download and then follow the on-screen instructions

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

Someone is having fun with an AI… :)

Once Acer pulls the support files for a model down, you pretty much have to search for third parties that have archived the downloads. The AOD270 is from 2013 and the AOD722 is even older, so Acer has removed all support files except the user guide, I believe. Neither support a current OS. It shouldn't be that much of an issue though, likely the newest BIOS will be vintage 2014 or 2015. Typically once they are sure the BIOS is completely stable they stop doing updates, though the newer BIOSes do get ME updates occasionally and the EFI files on UEFI BIOSes sometimes get updates pushed via Windows Update.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • swingbozo
    edited March 30
    Options

Part of this is my D270 has the BIOS locked, which is the real problem. (debug, O 70 2E, O 71 FF, Q, didn't work) I figured I could re-burn it and get it to fail on a checksum and reset. The D270 and the 722's are running Win10. I've put in 8 gig's of memory (it works if you get the right memory). I'm building a cheap Windows based echo device and also a virtual aquarium for my mom using these computers. I now have 6 of them. Thanks ebay!

Once you install Win10 and let it settle down for a day the machines are reasonably functional. This actually surprised me to no end. You can buy one of these old dinosaurs for $30, get an $8 memory chip, a new battery for $14 then doink with the drive (which I haven't done just yet) and you've got not a bad little device for less than $60. I may go back to Win7 on them but for now it's working well enough for what I want to do with them. These were sold by gateway and wally world so there are like a billion of them floating around.

• swingbozo
    Options

I did finally find a BIOS update for another model pushed by windows. There may be an update for this model flopping around in windows update somewhere. Apparently the insyde H2O BIOS in general had a pretty bad security problem that prompted a number of pushed BIOS updates via windows.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

I've got a couple of vintage 2006 laptops running Windows 10, one for a 3D printer and the other for a CNC router. So they can still be useful well after their normal 'lifespan'…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,013 Trailblazer
    Options

Go to HelpDrivers for the Aspire One D270 drivers as they have 43 files for this laptop and they have a very wide range of drivers with bios files for these old Acer laptops. I've used this site and their files are legit. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍