TC-730 Is a worm alert typical when working with BIOS for ACER Desktop?

Options
BobLach
BobLach Member Posts: 2 New User

All,

My TC-730 is freezing after hitting DEL key to enter BIOS (F2 freezes too) - so I'm clearing the CMOS and going to load BIOS. While downloading and copying to my USB Key I received a warning and BITDEFENDER quarantined a file in the BIOS download.

Screen capture below. I tried both the oldest and newest versions of the TC-730 BIOS receiving the same warning.

Is this behavior expected?

Thank you…

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• BobLach
    edited April 1 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, understood… I used the Acer image. I just thought it strange there wasn't one mention from anyone about the positive I received when I searched. Made me think I either did something very differently than everyone else handling the BIOS file (nope) or this might be a new event as my BitDefender is utd and I have not experienced this prior on the TC-730,-780 and-1760 I've worked on recently to update…

Anyway - thanks for the reply… Those were great directions for those that need them. Be well… 👍️

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Use the restore option if you downloaded the BIOS file from Acer's support site. It's likely a false positive. If you got the file somewhere else, get rid of it and download the BIOS directly from Acer. amifldrv64.sys is used to write a BIOS image to the CMOS chip and likely BitDefender is warning you that that type of capability isn't safe, since you don't want things mucking around with your BIOS, except of course an actual BIOS update.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BobLach
    edited April 1 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, understood… I used the Acer image. I just thought it strange there wasn't one mention from anyone about the positive I received when I searched. Made me think I either did something very differently than everyone else handling the BIOS file (nope) or this might be a new event as my BitDefender is utd and I have not experienced this prior on the TC-730,-780 and-1760 I've worked on recently to update…

Anyway - thanks for the reply… Those were great directions for those that need them. Be well… 👍️

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

I haven't ever used BitDefender, so don't have any experience with their support, but I expect that if you contacted them they would look into removing that particular false positive from their threat database.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.