Upgrade Graphics Card on Acer TC-895 UA with Additional External Power Supply

Options
DrBombay
DrBombay Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I want to upgrade the graphics card in my Acer TC-895 UA desktop computer. I have read the problems with updating the PSU. I have an additional power supply unit that is 650W with an eight pin PCIE plug. There is an on/off switch on the Power Supply unit. With the correct pins connected (jumered) on the motherboard plug the power supply will response to the on/off switch.

I have used this power supply to power hard drives and other devices. Can this be used to power an upgrade graphics card in the Acer Computer? The PCIE cable can be brought into the case through a rear slot.

If so, with the power supply issue out of the way what type of graphics card would you recommend?

Thank you for your comments.

Answers

• DrBombay

Tinkerer

edited March 26
    Options

More specifically, my computer is an Acer TC-895 UA92.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

I'd be worried about generating some sort of ground loop myself…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DrBombay

Tinkerer

Options

Intriguing issue you have raised.

"Lifting" appears to be a bad solution although one source stated "cut that ground pin and call it a day". Another source referred to lifting as a "widow maker". Yikes!

A more reasonable proposed solution states "Plug all of your gear into a single AC circuit." Could it be that simple? Just plug the PC and extra power supply into the same surge protector? I was planning on doing that anyway.

Any thoughts?

• DrBombay

Tinkerer

Options

Intriguing issue you have raised.

"Lifting" appears to be a bad solution although one source stated "cut that ground pin and call it a day". Another source referred to lifting as a "widow maker". Yikes!

A more reasonable proposed solution states "Plug all of your gear into a single AC circuit." Could it be that simple? Just plug the PC and extra power supply into the same surge protector? I was planning on doing that anyway.

Any thoughts?

And if that works, any thoughts on best graphics card to use in this computer? NV GTX 1660 Super or an RTX card?

• DrBombay

Tinkerer

Options

Tested this additional PSU with PCIe power plug (8 pin) solution with older computer and it worked without problem. Proof of concept.

• DrBombay

Tinkerer

Options

This solution did work. I installed a GTX 1660 Super with the 8 pin plug supplied by an additional PSU. Both PSU's are plugged into the same surge protector.