Lost Permissions to Drive C:\ Any way to regain full access to the drive or should reinstall windows

Options
vZehq
vZehq Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 25 in Predator Desktops

I was messing around with my drive settings and I accidentally caused it so that I cannot access my C:\ drive where I have windows installed and I tired to get the permissions back but I cannot because it says that I don't have permissions, I also cannot access command prompt without using safe mode as it says I need to be administrator(Which I am).

So I was wondering if there is any possible way to regain full access to the drive or should I reinstall windows which I do not mind doing.

However I cannot get the bootable USB to show in BIOS or in my F12 Boot Menu, and therefore I am not sure if I should try changing something in BIOS as I already tried with and without secure boot and tried every possible boot priority order

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,401 Trailblazer
    Options

You may have accidently activated encryption or turned on the standard BitLocker, to turn that of sign-in to Windows and try this: https://askleo.com/turn-off-bitlocker-drive/ If you cannot do anything anymore with your laptop you will have to bring it to Acer Services in your country to reset the system. Note that an encrypted drive cannot be decrypted without knowing the code (password).

• vZehq
    vZehq Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi, when I right click I cannot see an option to manage bit-locker and I don't think I have one.

What I did to cause this problem is I right clicked the drive, went into security and then permissions and turned off the wrong permissions causing all users and administrators to lose access to the drive.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,780 Pathfinder
    Options

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-lost-administrative-rights-in-windows-10/

@vZehq

Check the article above for creating the administrator user and restoring the settings.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

If you don't have many apps that will need to be reinstalled, a reset should get you back up and running better than trying to restore permissions.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.