Predator Helios Neo 16 not booting up, SSDs not recognized by Windows Boot Manager

Options
nitindhanasegar
nitindhanasegar Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello all,

My Predator Helios Neo 16 (Win 11) laptop is not booting up. It loads infinitely in the boot screen with the predator logo, in some occasions it shows

"Preparing Automatic Repair", then a blank screen comes; tapping F11 shows "winpeshl.exe" window. But it isn't allowing to type in it.

Below are some options that I tried to fix the issue but didn't work,

1. Alt+F10 doesn't open Windows recovery, instead the blank screen with "winpeshl.exe" opens up.

2. F2 opens up the BIOS menu without trouble, tried restoring to default settings and booting again. (PF BIOS image for specs, date/time settings are in sync)

3. Tried discharging power by disconnecting the main battery, CMOS battery, RAM & SSD.

4. Used a Windows 11 installation USB media to recover/restore/repair startup, when trying to install OS, it shows there are no disk drives in the system.

6. Used DISKPART in Command Prompt to check disks and boot record, but both my SSDs are not displayed in the list; also it shows 0 Windows installation present.

But both the SSDs are visible from the BIOS page. I guess the primary isssue is that the SSDs are not getting recognized by the Windows Boot Manager.

The device is just 7 months old with moderate usage. This issue popped out of nowhere and I'm not sure what else to check.

Kindly provide your support to have this issue fixed and bring back my laptop to life.

Best Answer

• nitindhanasegar
    nitindhanasegar Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

RESOLVED

I had raised a service request with Acer support and was connected to a support engineer today.

The below were the steps performed to fix this issue,

1. In BIOS menu under Advanced section, press CTRL+S to view hidden settings. Disable the "VMD Controller" option.
    2. Save and Exit BIOS, the system went to perform Automatic repair which actually failed to complete with a BSOD error, Stop code - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    3. It then automatically opened Windows Recovery page, the safe mode boot option was selected and the system was restarted.
    4. Windows booted successfully in safe mode, the system was again restarted.
    5. The system booted without trouble in normal mode, I was able to login again.

The engineer informed that VMD controller option should be disabled by default and it might have been enabled due to a recent BIOS update. This issue seems to be occurring quite frequently in Windows 11 devices (mine is 22H2 version)

While the issue has been resolved, the actual cause is unknown.

Thank you.

Answers